bad economy

Has the bad economy affected you personally or where you come from as a whole? In my town, the unemployment rate is super high and it seems like if your not on any government help, you can barely pay your rent. It's outrageous.

CarlyCo

Asked by CarlyCo at 4:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, it doesn't get much worse than it's been for several years here in Michigan.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We are very fortunate ((( WaheGuru.... Hare Krishna Hare Ram.... Jai Jai Shiva.. Jai Ganesha.... Praise Allah.... I can't throw enough thank you's and good out into the universe...) We have not been negatively affected by the economy directly.. We are doing as well as ever.

Our area was hit.. Oregon's unemployment rate was up to12% at one point and time. And the metro area was hit hard for some in some job fields.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• it has impacted my our family.
    My DH's job is so bad that they are not replacing people that they have let go, or people who have left, but others have to pick up the slack, leaving my husband working 12 hours a day. His job was an hour away and they just relocated, making it even further away. He has been looking for another job, but they aren't to be found. They have cut all raises and bonuses.
    I feel like a single mother during the week. I work full time and have full responsibility of the house and kids. He sees them just long enough to kiss them good night and then to kiss them good morning the next morning.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• In Minnesota the unemployment rate is about 6.8.....and the state is in the top ten of best places to live and to find a job. So far we are doing pretty well. But who knows what will happen tomorrow. Some friends who were laid off last fall are just now getting good jobs again after working at "just anything" to get by. Some of the BIG companies headquartered here such as 3M are hiring.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• PA's unemployment is at 9.2% and NJ where my husband works is at 9.7%, but we're as secure in our jobs as can be. My husband is an national account manager with Verizon, and they essentially print money! And I'm a special education teacher, in a very well managed school district--that has a solid housing and business tax base, and their accountants make sure to keep a healthy budget surplus each year without cutting corners on programs.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:34 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I live in Cleveland...enough said... the past two years have been a living nightmare! We have experienced layoff, cut hours, our house is worth less that we paid for it 17 years ago.... we've cashed in our savings and IRA to keep the roof over our heads!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes, that and a few other things I just don't want to talk about. All of them boiling down to not having any money.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We have been very blessed. My dh is military and I am a business owner. Our situation improves year after year. I look forward to a better economy so we can grow even more!

I really feel for others. I am so thankful for what we have.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Not affected. We are 35 year (1 C0) and 30 year (career ) employees.
    My husband is the #2 man in a large US Corp.
    I am a nurse.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My husband is in the Army and we're in San Antonio - which has a TON of military so it hasn't effected us too much. I see it when I go to the grocery store or get gas, ect.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2010