Not a question! A warning to parents with teens.

I do not know if any of you know about this yet, but we received an information packet at school yesterday. I wanted to share in case there were some parents who were not aware of this.

http://drug-abuse.suite101.com/article.cfm/teenagers-smoking-k2-have-authorities-incensed

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I didn't read the whole article, I've seen stuff about this in our local news lately. I'll tell you right now, if my kids got caught doing something stupid like this, I'd let their little butts go to jail or juvey. (My kids are all under 5 thought, lol!). My ex-sister in law protected her son at 17- drinking and drove home drunk TOTALED his brother's handicap van, and she took him home before the cops arrived. Claimed he had just gotten off work and was too tired. He's gone on to drinking and drugs, sleeping around, got fired from his job for always being late or not calling in....yeah.. Protecting your kids when they screw up is practically a guarentee that they will continue to make bad choices.
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Teens aren't the only one's doing this act of stupidity. But teens are falling for it just like adults are.

Many "adults' are running around doing what they call "Smoking the legal weed".. Which means, they are smoking incense that are not fit for human consumption.

We have had a few here in Portland end up in the ER all messed up from this crap.. I think they are going to try (at least it has been discussed) making this crap illegal for sale here in Oregon.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I had no idea people were doing this. I do find it funny though that there's a link to buy damiana leaf by the pound followed by a rehab link.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• ALOT OF ADULTS ARE SMOKING THIS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T COME UP ON A DRUG TEST. IT IS NOW ILLEGAL IN THE STATE OF LOUISIANA BUT THEY ALREADY GOT "FAKE COCAINE " BEING SOLD IN STORES !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I read something about this a few weeks ago. It's scary. I found the comments on Marijuana in the article interesting, there are a ton of people who will tell you that it's all bs and MJ is totally and completely safe. Some of these people are smoking this fake stuff until, as they say, MJ is made legal and sold like cigs and alcohol.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• *sigh* yet another reason weed, among other drugs, should be legalized. i guarantee this stuff is way worse for you than actual weed. plenty of kids are gonna get sick from all these chemicals, but it's nothing new. teens have been looking for ways to get a high forever and even when this is illegal, they'll move on to something else so whats the point? parents need to be more involved with their kids and less uptight. teens need to be able to come to their parents and ask about stuff like this so they can get accurate information.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have tried k2 when it first came out, and I have smoked pot (as a teen) ... If your gonna smoke one of them, just smoke the damn pot! Haha. One of my friends got very sick off the k2, was throwing up and hallucinating. Its not good stuff... I personally believe its worse than smoking weed, JMO. Teens think its ok becuase its "legal" (illegal in my state), but it still inhibits your abilities to function.. If you drive while smoking k2, its just as bad as driving under the infuence of pot or alcohol.
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I just asked my son what K2 is and he said a mountain. He is 14, so kind of glad he had no idea what it was. I saved the article so I can use it in my courses for Drug and Alcohol Counseling. I had no idea what it was either.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the link ..had no idea this kind of thing was happending !!
    MrsTT

Answer by MrsTT at 8:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010