Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how long will a doctor wait to do a c section if you won't dilate?

my sister has been stuck at 3 centimeters for 15 hours. she has been induced but it's not working. her water broke and i've heard you have to deliver the baby soon because the risk of infection. is this true? will she have to get a c section if she doesn't dilate soon?

 
xavierlogan09

Asked by xavierlogan09 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 14 (1,701 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • since she is in the hospital yes she will have a c-section soon. SOunds to me like she was not ready yet. Did they break her water or did it break on it's own.
    There is a slight risk of infection but your chances go up every time someone puts there hands in your vagina.
    Roadfamily6now

    Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

  • They will try various things to get her to dialate before they decide to do a c-section. They have a type of gel they put up there to try and get you to dialate. & They also have this balloon type thing they put in you and pump it up to dialate you fully.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

    Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 4:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

  • I think the magic # is 24 hours. I think.
    louise2

    Answer by louise2 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

  • I went to the hospital around 3 am, doctor arrived around 10am, I was only dilated 1.5 cm....he gave me a chance to dilate some more. he gave me some petocin to help me dilate....I couldnt take the pain after that so I gave in and got an epidural (I wish I didnt...I was doing so good! even the nurses were impressed)...my sons heart rate dropped with each contraction so they did an emergency c section and my son was born 1:13pm. The two drugs combined is most likely what caused the heart rate to drop. But I wasnt dilating at all so that was another reason. They didnt bother sending me home from the beginnng because I was 1 day away from 41 weeks.
    Owl_Feather

    Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

  • The longest they will let you go is 24 hours after your water breaking to have a c-section, though if she's been stuck this long it's likely the c-section will be soon if she doesn't start progressing more.
    Glamourina

    Answer by Glamourina at 4:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

  • One of my friends had this happen to her about 4 months ago. She'd gone in, been induced, and then wouldn't progress. They had her wait 24 hours, but after that when nothing happened, they did have to do a c-section. I know they try a lot of things first though-everything possible to get you to have the baby vaginally.
    HaydensMom178

    Answer by HaydensMom178 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

  • Is your sister up and letting gravity help her? Have her move around and change positions if it's not too late. Good luck to her.
    Azure

    Answer by Azure at 5:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

  • 21 for me and he was deceling the whole time but it dropped and didn't come back up
    Kre10

    Answer by Kre10 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

  • One of my cousin's was in labor for 18hrs and she was only dilated at a 4. She had been stuck there for 3hrs so they went ahead and did a c section. Good luck to your sister.
    ladyambition

    Answer by ladyambition at 5:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

Next question in Pregnancy
scared

Next question overall (Toddlers (1-2))
my daughter ate bluberries and...

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN