breastfeeding??

ok my little guy was born on the 25th of August. We started off good together nursing and he latched on fine. Now all of a sudden he fights me to nurse. I will put him to my breast and he will push away with his hands and scream his head off. any advice?

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 4:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could be a strong let down, or he's going through a growth spurt and it's not coming fast enough lol. does he arch his back? could be tummy upset! make sure you burp him once he unlatches.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Maybe he has acid reflux? I would take this question to the doctor ASAP so you can get it figured out. My little guy would do this when he was first born and it turned out I didn't have enough milk (none was coming out and he got mad) so we supplemented while I worked on increasing my supply. It worked rather quickly, despite what others say about formula ruining any chance of ever breastfeeding again. :) Good luck and congrats!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 4:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• if its the let down what do i do? i know once he gets started if he moves away i squirt all over him lol
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Have you been giving any bottles? If you have been, then stop!
    Try to spend the day laying down with him on your bare chest, him in only a diaper. Let him sleep like that and when he is drowsy he will likely start moving towards and take the breast with little or no help from you.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The squirt all over when he pulls off it s BIG clue! I think it is overactive letdown/oversupply. Read what to do about it here: Oversupply

It is long and detailed but I promise it will help!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• after he pulls away, try hugging and soothing him until calm. then try again. he will eat when hes hungry. just be paitent. youre doing great just by nursing him at all. keep it up! <3
    btw congrats!
    Allisonmoymoy

Answer by Allisonmoymoy at 4:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• yep if you're squirting all over him thats a strong let down lol! I squirted in my sons eyes once, and had to sleep with two bath towels the first few months. All I can say is it will settle down and you will supply just the right amt your baby needs as long as you nurse on demand and dont pump excessively. Are you pumping at all? If you are, stop or minimize it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My letdown was really strong with my son too. I hand express some milk into a bottle. At the very beginning of the nursing session it was flowing the fastest. When my baby girl was born she couldn't even latch on because I was so full.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 4:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i had to supplement formula for a few days per his pediatrician (not by my choice at all) and have been pumping because my breasts get so engorged they are painful. I went from a 32c to a 40D!!! i leak all the time even thru breasts pads. I never even thought about strong let down..maybe it is too much for him. do you think I should try pumping a little and then put him to the breast? also I am going to try him laying on me skin to skin and see if that helps. he always lays on me...his favorite spot :) thanks ladies!!!
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Supplementing just makes engorgement worse... BAD IDEA. He doesn't need ANY formula... PP posted some very helpful info. I hope you'll read it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2010