• In the Spotlight:

Sleepwalking - Has anyone every dealt with this? Has your child ever been put on medicine for sleep problems, and if so how did he/she react? Did your family have a history of the problem? How did you react and handle it?

It all started this summer. There's been nights where she'd get up and go to her room and undress herself and not recall it. What scared me was when she got up, undressed, got into the tub and turned the hot water on while still asleep. She's only 5 years old. Two nights ago, she woke me up by banging her head on the floor 4 or 5 times. Well, her doctor referred her to a specialist dealing with sleep disorders. We just saw the specialist this past Thursday and she seems to think that it could be a genetic thing. Right now, she just wants to watch closely and hope that she out grows it. But with the past history of sleepwalkers in my family, and my history of acting out my dreams, she said that there is a good possibility of this being genetic. Any suggestions?

lvns2my1

Asked by lvns2my1 at 2:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My family has a long line of sleep walker, talkers, and like you said "acting out our dreams"....including myself. We all outgrew the sleep walking....my nephews by the age of 10....I was about 16 before I stopped. We all continue to act out our dreams though (having hit or kicked someone in our sleep, etc.). My suggestion for the sleep walking...try putting one of those motion sensor chimes on her bedroom door and windows....it may wake her up...if not it can at least alert you that she's on the move. Good luck.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:14 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• first thing I would try is Melatonin. I don't agree with daily dosesing... but when needed... it takes less than a half hour. and I think in any case is the best and safest first choice for helping with sleep for ADHDers.

theADHD brain has trouble shutting down..
    momkelly2

Answer by momkelly2 at 5:34 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• When my girl was little she had really bad sleep problems. She would yell, walk, run, talk and hit with her eyes were open when she was asleep. Most nights we would have to wait for her to start when she did it would get so bad we would have to hold her. So she would not hurt her self. when are Family saw her do this they didn't know what to do. I asked her what could be scaring her when she sleep it turned out to be cows that scard her. When we found this out and told her not to be scared she stoped having all these problems. Find out what she is dreaming about by asking her or have her draw pictures of what she was dreaming of in the morning. Just tell her she is making a book and it will help you find out why she has sleeping problems. Good luck. Everything will workout.
    cloverlady2008

Answer by cloverlady2008 at 8:38 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I used to sleep walk, even did the tub thing when I was young. It stopped when i gave up dairy
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2008