Does tanning in a bed affect breastmilk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope. However, I am pretty sure that tanning beds were a huge factor in all of the skin cancer I have had. If I knew then what I know now...

It won't effect your breastmilk or baby in any way.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Nope. Just ups a persons risk for skin cancer and wrinkly leathery skin later in life.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I would think yes....maybe more Vit D? but sun or radiation I would think changes every cell....the damage of the cell's DNA is real...and the mistake or damage is reproduced every time that cell reproduces....mutation~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 4:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• LLL The BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 3rd revised edition, published by La Leche League International, states on page 449, "No evidence exists that the nursing mother's use of tanning beds has any effect on her breastfed baby."

It is important to limit exposure so that burning is avoided. Some mothers have reported getting burnt nipples and breasts when using tanning beds. This is extremely painful so be sure to cover your nipples and breasts and use caution. If any vitamins or medications are suggested to enhance the tanning, be sure to check with your health care provider before taking them.

That's all I got! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Personally I would not tan while breastfeeding.. sometimes there are risk we are not aware of just yet..
    But then again I dont use tanning beds at all..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• not at all. think about it. does being out in the sun effect breastmilk, no it doesn't. the same rays from the sun are the ones found in a tanning bed. however i would recommend wearing an spf 15 to prevent aging (tanning makes you wrinkled and spotty w/o sunscreen) and cancer. i wear sunscreen tanning and i still have an awesome tan
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:44 AM on Sep. 5, 2010