Did your parents do alot with you.. Do you with your kids?

Growing up I dont remember going to the park. zoo. museums and other things...
Our almost 4yo DD has done so much compared to us growing up: Many trips to Zoo's, Museums, Shlitterbaun, Elmo Live, State Fairs, "Polar Express" train ride, "Thomas The Train" ride, Six Flags..
Do you think doing alot makes a difference to the kid growing up? Are they spoiled? Or is it a good thing.

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• We never took elaborate vacations.
    I've been to Disney World, but only because I went on a school trip and earned the money to go there myself. But my family did do a lot of things with us. They read to us, they set up stages to act out our own plays. My dad taught me to use a hammer, a saw and to sand. My mom taught me to cook and do clean and to do laundry. My dad had us lay outside in the middle of the night on lawn chairs so that we could see a meteor shower. He woke us up in the middle of the night to show us Hailey's Comet. We went hiking in the woods and went for long bike rides. During the winter months we had family movie nights, which consisted of us having to watch classic movies. I have seen African Queen, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and a myriad of Alfred Hitchcock movies.
    I think the same of my kids. I can take them to a plethora of places, but what I DO with them means more than WHERE I take them.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think it's both. It's wonderful to have active involved parents, but too many are doing too much too young. I think that there's nothing wrong with children having things to look forward to as they grow up, not having already experienced everything while they are still very young and often too young to really appreciate or get the full benefit of the experiences.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We lived on a farm when we were growing up, so there wasn't much of anything going on except work. My dad did take us to the State Fair every year, and we always looked forward to that. We never had vacations because we couldn't leave the dairy cows unattended. We have always been a very closely knit family, so I don't think doing all the stuff is what makes that happen.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We didn't do anything growing up. I don't even remember any real one on one interaction. We were jut sort of there and we ran wild. Looking back I really wonder how we all survived, and I am not being sarcastic there! I do lots of things with my daughter and I think it is a good thing. I was very timid and even anxious about things as a child and I am sure that never doing anything had something to do with that. My daughter is outgoing and confident, so I think it is a good thing.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 5:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• NO I don't remember my parents doing a lot with me. I mean we were close and all but I don't remember festivals, parks, aquariums and such on the agenda. I do do a lot with my kids. I don't know if it makes a difference in closeness but I sure did make note of it as an adult that we didn't really 'do' anything.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My sister and I went to a lot of places when we were little; Canada and Mexico, Hawaii, New York, Europe, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Zambia, Las Vegas, Six Flags and Disneyland. We were not spoiled though; my parents taught us that nothing in life comes for free, you have to work hard if you want to go on nice trips or buy nice things.
    My DD is too young to appreciate anything big like that just yet, but I do want to take her to the zoo soon, and we go to the park all the time.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• There were 8 of us.. me being the youngest. I have very few family memories before most of them were married or had at least moved out. When it was down to me and my brother (21 months older than me) and my parents we went on tons of weekend trips and had "family" activities. I treasure those the most. For my son? He's my only child, it's just been just he and I since day 1, he will be 18 in February. We did TONS of stuff together until about 2 years ago. Now? He wouldn't even let me go school shopping with him this year! I value all of the zoo trips, park and children's museum visits when he was little. I didn't realize they'd go away so quickly. :(
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 5:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I know that I have done alot more with my girls than my parents ever did! We went on vacation during the summer, always stayed with relatives. And did some things than. But my mom never played games or Barbies or anything like that. I went to the zoo and theme parks on field trips with school. I don't know if it was just a different time, or I know my mom just did do that. She did things she liked, but that is another story!! So, yes, I do a lot more than my folks.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 5:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think that doing to much can lead to expectations that your child expects. If you do to many things while they are to young they don't actually have memories from it but you do. I would spread things out as your child grows, but most people don't remember any of their memories from before the age of 4 or 5.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• MY PARENST WERE POOR. BUT ONE YEAR MY MOM WORKED A PLAY PARK..WE GOT TO GO EVERY DAY...WEWENT TO FL A FEW TIMES..BUT THATS ALL WE DID.. I CANT DOA LOT WTH MY KDS ..BU I,M PLAYING ON IT ...
    KRIZZ25

Answer by KRIZZ25 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2010