Do you find that your teens communicate more with you if you are willing to text with them?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't have a teen, but it stands to reason that if you try to communicate in a way that they are most comfortable you might get further with them. But don't go crazy texting them, or they'll probably get annoyed and ignore you, leaving right back at square one.
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 5:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My stepdaughter does that all the time, i just thought she didnt want to talk to me, i would call her about 2 times no answer then as soon as i sent a text i would get a respond.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My 17 year old and I most frequently communicate through text.. even if in the same house (2 or 3 floors apart). When I try to "talk" to him, I get an eye roll and a sigh or two... sigh...
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I text with my son (13) and stepson (15). It used to bother me (I thought they didn't want to talk to me), but I realized that it's just they prefer to text.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• a lot of times tteens are more comfortable texting because it allows them to see what you want to talk about without having to respond immediately or get trapped in a conversation with you. it also allows them time to think about a response rather than having to answer immediately like in a conversation. this is another reason why some parents find it easier to write letters to their kids to work through difficult issues, because it takes away some of the pressures of a face to face conversation and allows both parties to think through thier words before saying something they dont really mean.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think when you text your children that it leads to more of a friend relationship...your children should answer the phone any time that you call...i believe its a respect thing
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• If I could txt like her we probably get along alot better.
    sherryv07

Answer by sherryv07 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• When they are with friends, they don't want their peers to know that they are talking to the parents. That's why they text you, their friends don't look to see who's texting.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:58 AM on Sep. 5, 2010