If I am not breastfeeding how do I get my milk to dry up? It just came in a few days ago and I am leaking everywhere.. I need it to stop!

carriebeth864

Asked by carriebeth864 at 2:44 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• green cabbage leaves applied directly to the breast works. Also, wear a tight bra and leave it on. You will get engourged and miserable for a few days, but this is what I did with all of my children and it worked! Good Luck!
    LaBoucane

Answer by LaBoucane at 5:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• get a good bra and some ice packs. it might hurt when you swell up mine only hurt for a day and i was just uncomfortable for about a week and get some breast pads for the leaking. my doctor said something about trying red cabbage on your breast but i didnt lol
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 5:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I sat in a very hot (as hot as you can handle) bath tub, and also placed very hot wash clothes on my breasts. This helped for a while.
    Then I strapped a bandage around my chest, i made it a little tighter than was comfortable.

Trisha3

Answer by Trisha3 at 6:12 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• You are a very lucky woman, many people worry about their ability to breastfeed. Give baby what baby deserves and breastfeed. The reasons to breastfeed are astounding. The reason for not have little to do with baby. If you are adamant on not breastfeeding I would still keep up the supply just in case. MOST babies have stomach discomfort, constipation, crying bouts, etc. with the use of formula. If you keep up your supply you will be able to give baby much needed relief instead of feeling helpless. Watching your child suffer is so much worse then putting yourself through a bit of discomfort.  BTW binding the breasts has a high possibility of causing mastitis.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• When I had Cadence and decided breastfeeding was not for me (go figure since I am doing it this time around, lol), I used ice packs and just wore my pre-pregnancy bra's. You will be engorged for a few days, but it works. Also, sometimes instead of ice packs I found that if I wet a couple washcloths and froze them and put them in my bra, it felt great!! Good Luck!
    In the meantime, ignore the last answer. Your choice to not breast feed is yours and yours alone and no one should ever respond to a question about drying up a milk supply with "Give baby what baby deserves and breastfeed". That is just ignorant and if they could not try to help with your question then they shouldn't have answered at all.
    HeatherMQ

Answer by HeatherMQ at 1:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• the cabbage is the best option i think but put the leaves in the freezer first...the nurse at the hospital in labor and delivery told me to do it and they went down in about 2 days...still a little leaking but nothing to serious...
    proudmommy10108

Answer by proudmommy10108 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2008