When should my kids be allowed to date?

My daughter wants to start dating now but she's 17 and I'm telling her wait till she reaches the age 18. Is that a good idea? My husband and I have talk this over a lot but I want other people's opinions. When did/would you start allowing your kids to date?

SuperWoman246

Asked by SuperWoman246 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• NEVER LOL I dont want mine to date lol
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• dating in solo pairs or hang out with friends and date? She is old enough to handle things I would think~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 5:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My 14yrl old step daughter has had bf my fiance is okay , if it were up to me id say when you turn 18.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No one can make that choice for you and your child. Only you can. I told my husband that after they are 85yrs old they can date.lol! I'd say when my husband and I think that they are mature enough to handle dating. Maybe not an alone date either. With a group of friends. I'd say maybe the eighth grade. We shall see though. They are only 8yrs old and 2 1/2yrs old. Dating is a while from now for them.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Our kids can start dating once they start HS. My mother was of the "not til your 18" kind too, so we just snuck out and did it anyways... I would prefer I know where my kids are and who they are with and not give them any cause to hide things from me. Plus, I don't see any reason why teens can't date, it's natural and normal...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I had my first boyfriend at 15, but it was one of those totally innocent puppy love relationships. I think 15 is an appropriate age to go on group dates, and 16 is a good age to start dating on your own. To be honest, if your daughter wants to date badly enough, she'll find a way to do it.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Our philosophy was dating is for the purpose of finding a marriage partner, so until you are mature enough to be married, no dating is necessary. It's okay to be learning how to discern character traits in the opposite sex that are desirable in a marriage partner, but that can be done in the home with family present. It worked out very, very well for this family, and if I could do it again, that's how I would do it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• They will end up doing it , i know i did.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• In all sincerity though.... I think that you should make the decision on your own seeing as they are your children. Today in the world dating is so hard and complicated. Honestly think back to when you were younger.... Dating can be hard for them cause they are a rough time in their life's where they are coming in to maturity but also the are still oh so trusting. That can lead to mistakes amd and bad lessons learned just be open with them and talk openly about it and any relationship if any that they start. Have them feel comfortable to come and talk to you.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• When I feel comfortable and the maturity of the child. I would have no problem with my 12yr have a boyfriend that they only see each other at school and talk on the phone.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 6:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2010