Do you ever defrost meat in the microwave?

I do sometimes. Usually if I forget to get something out before hand to defrost. If you are slow about it and stop the microwave every couple of minutes and check you meat and rotate it or adjust it, you can defrost meat in the microwave without ruining.

My son (17) is hilarious about this sometimes. He loves to eat and like his meat. He throws a fit every once in a while when he sees me doing this because his dad and stepmom are very insistent that you cannot defrost meat in the microwave. He says that he is constantly informing them otherwise but they don't believe him.

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I defrost mine in the microwave all the time if I need it defrosted ASAP. Otherwise, a better way to defrost it relatively quicker than just letting it sit out would be to fill a bowl with cold water (believe it or not, cold works better than warmer, at least that's what I've seen -- I guess it just depends on people's druthers). It helps it defrost quicker than just putting it in the fridge or letting it sit out on the table. ^_^

I hate my microwave. I'll set it for the weight, but then when it's done, my meat is STILL mostly frozen! But when I set it for more, it'll over-do it. >.< My microwave sucks.
    PaganMommy04

Answer by PaganMommy04 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I DO I DO I DO and my Hubby too :D
    only if we forget though.
    Also I get peeved at my Hubby..... Dont forget to check it cause it can cook around the edges :( this is NOT GOOD EATS lol
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• depends on the meat, i defort hamburger in the microwave almost every other day :P but if its like pork chops or steaks or something else from our freezer i TRY and put it to defrost in the fridge over night or just set it in some luke warm water for 30min or so to try and defrost it... probably just loses flavor defrosting in the microwave, but doesn't mean it ruins it :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I am like you, I defrost it in the icrowave when i forget to take something out before hand and I am trying to hurry up and get dinner going for the night. I have been doing it for quite some time and have found nothing wrong with doing it. Obviously the people who designed and made microwaves didn't either or else they wouldn't have a defrost button on them.
    dirtyswifey10

Answer by dirtyswifey10 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have, but it is not my favorite method to defrost.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I do sometimes.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I did when I had a reliable microwave. now i just defrost in hot water in the sink works just as good but takes a lil longer.
    Harley_Emmie

Answer by Harley_Emmie at 5:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I dont really like to defroast in the microwave but if i forget to put it in the fridge i will
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 6:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Sometimes I prefer not to though as I don't like how it gets when it's thawing in the microwave using a water bath that is cold is so much better as that's how I do it at work if I need more meat in a hurry
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I do when I've forgotten to get the meat out in time. My microwave has a defrost setting and it works great. I also use it to defrost bread, milk, veggies, and cakes. I have no complaints at all.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2010