Anyone have any advise for going from a crib to a toddler bed.

So we decided to change our 14month olds crib into a toddler bed and Im just wondering what helped you guys keep your children in bed at night. She has her own room (baby proofed) so I think she'll be safe I just want to know what helped make it not so intimidating for your children.

GreenLadie

Asked by GreenLadie at 6:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I got a really fun toddler bed...really for my back...it was the Step Two one with storage under it. "Make what you want to happen more fun than what is happening" is my golden rule of motivation~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 6:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Get a mesh guard that you can put on the side so she doesn't fall out of bed. Maybe put up a baby gate so she can't leave the room. My daughter got out of bed evey night for a while. Now we sleep with our door open. She kept climbing over the baby gate and coming into my room. Make a big deal out of it too. Make her feel that it is her special big girl bed. Make her feel proud about it. Mayby buy her a new bed set to go with it. Good luck! 

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• New sheets and a girly blanket. Besides that we tried to keep all the routines the same so she could adapt quicker.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 6:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• ID WAIT TILL ABOUT 2 ! JUST BEING HONEST !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I waited until 2...I agree with Elizabethsmom. I waited until she turned 2 and the transition went SO smoothly.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Umm, dd always fell asleep with us and we'd put her in her toddler bed..but start out slow..do naps in it (I didn't have a crib that converted)..let your little one pick out bedding or something special for her bed so she has a part in it. Let her play on it so she knows it's hers. Good lck to you. Switch when you're ready..my dd didn't want anything to so with a crib and slept in pack-n-play, and we switched to a toddler bed when she was a year old.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 7:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We just switched our 22 month old son to a twin bed with a rail from his crib and he's doing great. He's my 4th and the earliest I've ever switched any of them out of their crib. Unless he's climbing out, I would wait at least a few more months.

Answer by missanc at 8:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• we put my sons bed in our room for a few weeks just so he could get used to sleeping in it all night once he did we moved it back to his room n since then hes been in his lil bed
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2010