I want your personal in put please

So I'm thinking about getting back on b/c. I was on the depo shot and it messed me up. I was on the pill, but I had issues with the pharmcy with it. I was thinking about one that they put in you (not Norplant) and leave it there for five or ten years.
If you've had either one of those before. Can you tell me the ups and downs that you had with it. Did it hurt, did you spot bleed, and so on. Was it like the depo shot?

elly25

Asked by elly25 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Health

• Nothing good can come of the mirena. I had it, it caused me to miscarriage and inplanted itself in me. Along with many many other issues. If you would like to message me i can give you more details...Painful to say the least. please just do ur research on it. and make sure its what you really want.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 6:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have Mirena, and I love it!!! I've had it for a year now, and I get to have it for four more years without having to worry about taking a pill every day, or getting a shot every few months, etc. I had spotting for about a month after getting it, but now I only have about three days of bitchiness a month, no bleeding or anything. I highly recommend it!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I was on the continuous pill for 10 years...a mini pill...loved it...no ovulation highs..but no crashes either...dried up my oily skin...gave me an estrogen source. I carry a ovarian cancer risk and we turned that right off...no bleeding for 10 years~sweet!

My 12 year old wants her period "turned off" (ovulation is really over rated for a teen)...the OB/gyn says no depo shot for her unless she has a genetic bleeding disorder....my DD has to learn to swallow a pill (learning with tic tacs)...the MD doesn't want so much progesterone in her for three months and not be able to pull it off with a bad side effect (suicide she worries about with teens).

surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 6:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Everyone has their own issues with all types of birth control, so you have to find one that works for you. I had the Mirena IUD, it is the 5 year one, I had it for all 5 years and I absolutely loved it. In the beginning I had some spotting after that nothing. I didn't gain any weight, it didn't cause me any pain or anything for me it is the perfect B/C. After I have my baby I will be going back to that method.
    The only thing that did happen from it, (which doesn't happen to all, really depends on your hubby's size) is that I had to go in a few times and have the strings (they are more like wires) cut down because they would scratch my SO during sex. After I had the strings cut down we had no problems.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 8:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i have had the Mirena for a year and a half and it is by far the best birth control for me! I had it put in about 2 months after my son was born and the only pain i felt was some moderate cramping for the firs 24 hours or so. I beld off and on for most of the first month i had it in, then the next 3 periods were very light, and i haven't had a period since. i've had no cramping or bleeding or anything for over a year. as one pp said, i did have to have the strings trimmed because they poked my SO at first. he said it wasnt horribly painful, just distracting. since they've been trimmed, he doesnt feel them anymore though! the only negative i have seen is that sometimes, in certain postions, when my SO goes really deep it kinda hurts...but im not sure if thats from the mirena or the cervical biopsy i had around the same time. it's good for 5 years and it's the only birth control i plan on using.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have mirena it was little rough upon implantation (i got dizzy a little pinch ad some cramping) but other than that i L-O-V-E IT! periods arent real regularand you do need to check ur strings religiously once a month to make sure it doesnt fall out. There are serious risks involved, rare but it happens talk to your doctor you might like it. I was on the pill and depo so far mirena is my favorite!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I had the Mirena in for about 18 months. Besides the fact that it contributed to my depression, made my legs go numb, get dizzy spells, and fall out, it was OK. I liked that I didnt have to worry about taking a pill or having a period. Not having to buy tampons for a year and a half was nice. Just be careful, I saw that people are trying to start a class action lawsuit due to all the side effects.
    AndysQueen

Answer by AndysQueen at 2:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010