Can I use peppermint extract to make a chocolate mint frosting for brownies?

I usually melt Andes Candies to make a chocolate mint drizzle for cupcakes and chocolate dipped pretzels, but I was hoping to use ingredients I already have in my cupboard.

If I have to I'll go out and buy some Creme de Menthe liquer or some Andes Candies, but have any of you ever used a smidge (teaspoon) of peppermint extract to a fudgy chocolate dessert, and had it come out well...or was it too pepperminty like a candy cane?

I'll be making about 40-50 brownies. And I also have chopped mint leaves--which I could grind up into a powder?

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 6:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• The peppermint will work, but go light on it. I'd use half vanilla extract half peppermint (1/2 t to a regular recipe of buttercream type frosting.

If you are melting regular chocolate, make sure it's completely melted or it can seize from the water in the extract, and I'd start with a quarter teaspoon and taste.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Peppermint is a strong flavor to use. Just be careful that you don't use too much. It will overwhelm the chocolate flavor.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Oh goody! I was hoping our resident chef--lovinangels--was here, and would respond!! THANK YOU!! :o)

blowing kisses

LoriKeet

Comment by LoriKeet (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2010