what are the risks of inductions?

Paige-0

Asked by Paige-0 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• c-section
    premature birth
    stalled labors,
    painful labors
    multiple interventions
    forceps delivery
    vacuum delivery
    distressed baby
    erratic heartbeat in mother and / or baby
    higher usage of pain meds in labor (which then comes with it's own set of risks)
    baby passing meconium and having issues...such as NICU time.

I'm sure there is more but I have a doula client to go meet. :)
    Good Luck.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I'm pretty sure if they induce you, you run the risk of going home with a newborn baby.... :-p

Just remember, if your doctor decides to induce you, they believe that the benefits will outweigh any risks.

SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• thanks sarah i kinda needed something like that :)
    Paige-0

Comment by Paige-0 (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No problem Paige :) I was induced because I was five days overdue, incredibly uncomfortable, and my doctor was getting worried due to decreased fetal movement. I was at the hospital for 12 hours, and pushing for half an hour before my DD came out perfectly healthy, no complications at all!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:35 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• not sure. I like being induced though. Since I hate being in pain. I liked the fact that I would already be in the hospital when I start the contractions I was afraid of going into labor and being in so much pain not being able to sit long enough to gt to the hospital lol. I was induced with my now 5 year old. I wasn't asked I was 40 weeks to the day he wanted to induce me because I have small hips and the baby would be about 10 pounds if I go over. She was 8.1. I had forceps with her because she was stuck in the birth canal. Baby 2 they wanted to avoid that so wanted to make the baby smaller this time they asked me if I wanted to be induced I said yes. They induced me 5 days early (earliest they can without you having complications) had her fine only she was 8.7 but if I could get induced when we have another baby would I? Yes I would. I didn't have any c-sections nock on wood.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i think the only risk of being induced is more pain haha . i was induced an i came out with a happy healthy baby.. the person who stated the whole entire list... im sure that stuff can happen to a person who is going natural and all that. i think they are about the same :)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 6:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• http://pregnancy.about.com/od/induction/a/risksinduction.htm

Akalei... Increased risk means more of a chance of thise things. Of course they can happen to women during birthing, but it increases that risk.

That being said I had a very easy induction with my middle child. It was actually the easiest of my births.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• oh ya I pushed with first baby for 5 hours and with second baby only pushed for a hour and a half
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:44 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I don't think all the risks are even known at this present time. We are seeing increases in many birth problems that we didn't use to see, and something is causing them. It's either the medications women are given or it's the vaccines the children are given. Something is happening. When my children were born in the 70's, autism was unheard of. So were ADHD and a host of other new syndromes. Allergies to peanuts, eggs, and milk were non-existent. So something has changed, and I would not risk causing those things to my babies just for matters of convenience or comfort. Babies are always born when the mother's body is ready. Nobody has ever carried one for a life-time. I think the risks outweigh the benefits, and I had all my naturally and each one was exactly 3 weeks past the due date the doctor had set. All are very healthy adults, and yes, I was very uncomfortable the last few weeks.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have 4 kids, 2 of which were induced. None of my 4 labors and deliveries had any complications, and I dont think the contractions were worse with the inductions. My first induction (3rd baby) I had the cervadil (didnt work) then had the Pitocin which worked (although I think labor would have been shorter if had happened naturally) but I didnt like having the iv :( My 2nd induction (4th baby) only needed the cervadil.( yay, no iv lol), labor was only 3.5 hrs! BTW I had no pain meds or tearing so I think all 4 labors were successes :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 8:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2010