• In the Spotlight:

Are you a stickler for spelling?

I'm not crazy about grammar, but spelling is my strong point. Especially when someone uses the wrong form of a homonym. There, they're, and their. Too, to, and two. It's and its. You're and your. Accept and except. Etc.
If I see an error in spelling, it messes up the flow of whatever I'm reading and it really bugs me, especially if the error is in a novel! (They have editors for a reason!)

Doesn't it seem like the world is becoming more apathetic about the importance of spelling and grammar?

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Slaughter of the English language is not a victimless crime!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• LOL, it bothers me a lot.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• LMAO!! I'm SO glad I'm not the only one!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It doesn't really bother me outside of printed material, like you said they have editors. In chats, message boards, ect. AS long as I can get the point it doesn't bother me at all.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think I'm better at grammer. The homonym thing really bothers me too.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I don't think you should really base someone‚Äôs intelligence n how well they spell. Some of the most intelligent people in the would cannot spell. I f you put a gun to my head and forced me to participate in a spelling bee, I would be dead. As for grammar, I think it has 40% with being in a hurry and trying to get your point across before someone else responds. It is a bit painful when some people don't make the effort to correct themselves but, what are you gonna do?
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Overall, yes it bothers me especially when it is in a book that I have purchased, such as school texts. Not so much on here, because I think a lot of the time we are typing in a hurry, wanting to move on to the next question.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes and no. Up until i joined cafemom. I didn't really care at all, but I think before I type now.

Grammar Nazis are scary!

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• SPELLING POLICE Pictures, Images and Photos
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:34 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It does bother me when I see them spelling something wrong like your examples why can't they get There, They're & their, too, to and two but then I also know this is the internet and I know people type fast and hit reply even faster and then have a computer that has it'son mind. The grammar is not my strong point I forget where to add the commas and such
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2010