So when do I need to start brushing my baby's teeth? or tooth?

My little girl has two teeth that just popped up. They haven't grown all the way in yet, but I'm wondering when I need to start brushing her teeth and taking her to the dentist. and do I use toothpaste with flouride in it or not?

kellyn.tori

Asked by kellyn.tori at 6:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can start by just using a baby toothbrush, no tooth paste at all yet. She might like the feeling of the brush on her gums, too :) Not sure when you should start taking her to the dentist though...
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I was started cleaning the gums when she was around 4 or 5 months old. But you should start asap. they have this little things that you put on ur fingers so you can get in there and brush them. It comes with safe toothpaste for them as well.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 6:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• no floride...I'd use a wash cloth for those little teeth and all her gums..and get out that floss for between them...mostly to get her used to in early...watch the flavor of it....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 6:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I used a wash cloth for a while, then moved to a soft baby tooth brush, no toothpaste at first.

Answer by Bmat at 7:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I got the finger brush and when my DD was 4 months old i would put it on twice a day from then on and now at 2 1/2 yrs old she looks forward to brushing her teeth. Taht's what we are getting ready to do here in about 10 minutes.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Oh, and you can take them to a pediatric dentist as soon as they have teeth, but the recommend to start at a year old even if they have not gotten any teeth by that age.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• do a flouride free gum and tooth toothpaste.. like this one:  http://www.orajel.com/products/toddler/training_toothpaste.htm

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:45 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I started wiping my DD's gums when right away. Started brushing when she got her first tooth.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2010