How do I control my DS better?

Right now I am on my own with the discipline, daddy is a Marine. Anyways my son has been throwing fits everywhere we go. When we are out with my mom she just lets the fits happen and doesnt do anything to control the situation. So he thinks he can get away with anything

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know how it is to be on your own when DH is gone, my DH is Air Force. I'm glad your Mom doesn't step in to correct his behavior, that could be confusing for him. You're his mom, and you need to be the one to correct him. I have 2 boys, and do not "reward" fits with anything positive at all. Throw a fit at a store? Be taken straight home to time out. Throw a fit about wanting something? Do not get what you want and be taken straight to time out. You get the picture. If they think they can get what they want behaving like that, they'll keep doing it. You need to immediately and consistently address it each and every time it happens. Good Luck.
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 7:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Have you tried spanking him for his bad behavior? That's what worked with my children, and I could take them anywhere, any time without fear of fit throwing.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• You need to give him time outs for his actions you also need to show him that you are the momma and he is the child. My DD was going though this about 2-3 weeks ago and I have started time outs and putting my foot down on unacceptable behavior (biting,hitting,screaming,talking back) things are slowly but surly getting better. So days are better then others but just 2-3 wks ago i was feeling that she was running this house. Things are getting there. you can easily take him to the car and remove him from the situation.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• first off the key is consistancy. AND making it VERY clear what is expected of him. Do not tolerate ANY misbehavior. He disobeys, he gets the consequence. This does not make you a mean mom, it does not make you bad. It makes you a good mom who is preparing her son for the future, & molding him in to a productive member of society. Depending on age, you can start with time outs. I did one time out with my DD, if she was still acting up, then she got a spanking. That was my choice for what I felt was best for my DD. May not be yours, you just have to find what works for you. Good luck.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2010