what woud you do? PIOG

We have a neighbor boy that is 6 years old and that always comes over to play fetch with our dogs which is fine when we are home and say its ok. I can tell he doesn't get any attention at home and his parents don't care what he does. Well in the last week he has: gotten our mail out of our mail box, tried to let our outside dogs out of their kennels, and tried to get into our house to use our computer. He doesn't listen to us when we tell him not to do something and i can't tell if its just him not listening or if there is something mentally wrong with him. I really feel bad for him and he is an adorable kid BUT we don't know his parents and we don't have kids his age so its kind of wierd for him to be here. WHAT WOULD YOU DO??

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 7:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• thats a tough one.you may just have to be firm with him
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 7:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I would go and talk to his parents. If there is something wrong with him then it may cause an issue if you try to be stern with him. I would knock on the door at his house and talk to his parents about what is going on. Hopefully they will handle it.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 7:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I'd be very firm with him and tell him exactly what he is allowed to do and what he is not allowed to do. And tell him that if he does otherwise, he will not be allowed to come over anymore.
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 7:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• go to the parents, and if you dont get a good vibe call CPS
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I would go over to his house and speak with his parents about there child hanging out at your home. I am having a hard time rapping my head around the fact that his parents don't know you and there 6 YEAR OLD is hanging out at your home no matter if your home or not. There's something going on with this child's home life and his parents are not paying much attention to there child.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I would go and talk to the parents about this. I would also talk to the boy and tell him "I don't mind that you come over, BUT in my house you need to follow MY rules. If you do not I will send you home for the day" Then I would go on to tell him the rules -- (examples)- do not open the dog kennels, the mail box is off limits.....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2010