Do you want your kids to go to college?

Do you want your kids to go to college?

four2bmws

Asked by four2bmws at 7:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• YES!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i expect them to get at least a master's or higher
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't.
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• what I want and what they want could be two entirely different things. of course I want them to go to college and have an easier time with jobs and money. but as long as they can support themselves and their families, that's fine, too. they'll be adults then, and perfectly capable of making their own decisions. I'm not going to try to force them to do what I think is best, because, let's be honest here, everyone is fallible, myself included.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 7:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes. It will be expected. And I have no doubt that my children are capable of achieving at minimum a Bachelor's degree. It may even be necessary to get a Master's Degree or higher depending on their field of choice. That piece of paper really does open MANY doors--even those that have nothing to do with your chosen field.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes. I want my Son to be a Doctor. I have already started a college fund since he was born.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My kids are still quite young but they already know their University Funds are established and they are TOTALLY going. i know they may both become RCMP officers like their Dad, and I will be so proud and happy, but they need a good education beforehand. But I'm still hoping one of them chooses to be a neurosurgeon. Or artist. Or concert pianist. Or Vet. I could use a Vet in the family. Actually, I could use a good mechanic or electrician, so those would be good, too. Whatever makes their hearts hum....
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 7:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i will encourage my kids to pursue whatever training is necessary in whatever field they enjoy. i want them to have the best training for whatever they do. if one of my kids wants to be a doctor, i expect him to do well in school and attend a well respected university and do his residency at a well respected hospital. if one of my kids wants to be a mechanic, i expect him to attend an excellent training program and work under an excellent mechanic for a few years before he tries it on his own. the point is, i expect them to both be the best at what they do but that may not mean that they attend a traditional college. what i DO NOT WANT is either of them loafing around through life taking a series of low paying jobs and never becoming proficient at anything....but college is not necessarily the best path for everyone. the only thing college has done for me is put me $40,000 in debt even though i graduated with honors.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 7:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Of course I will lead them in that direction but I support any reasonable decision they make job/college wise. I mean I wouldn't support them graduating and then sitting around my house jobless for 3 years! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I'm raising them that a University degree is not a choice... HOWEVER... it will also depend on where their life/interest take them. I can see demanding at least an AA but if what they want is to be a chef or some other technical job or a plumber, or A/C repair or a welder etc. then a university degree would not make sense and would be a waste of time for them.
    What I want is the BEST for them and for them to have the opportunity to train in WHATEVER they want to do.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2010