At what age did you allow your chidren to stay home alone?

At what age did you allow your children to stay home while you grocery shopped, just ran to the gas station or to check the mail?

shawnalovesdon0

Asked by shawnalovesdon0 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• never yet! They are all too young, but when my son is 12 he will be able to for 3 or less hours!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• 10.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My older son is 10, he is allowed to for short periods of time here on base, but only if I'm somewhere close by, like at the neighbors.
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 7:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I'm starting to consider it with my 10 yo....he's been showing me that he can be resonsible for short periods of time.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• 10 to walk up and get the mail. 12 if I am gone for an hour.

Answer by Bmat at 7:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• when my son was 8 i would let him stay home alone for very short periods of time, like if i was just running to the gas station and would be back in 15 min. he had to stay in the house with the doors locked and not answer the door or the phone though. also, he wasnt allowed to cook anything while i was gone because he has actually started a fire in the microwave before! lol....now he's 10 and i will leave him home alone for a couple of hours to grocery shop or go to a friends house if he doesnt want to go with me. he does have a cell phone though and i check in with him every hour or so. he's not allowed to have anyone in the house while im gone and can only cook things in the microwave. he has to keep the doors locked and if he decides to go to a friends house down the street he has to call me and ask and lock the doors and take his key and cell phone with him.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 7:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Depends on my child maturity. If I gad to guess right now I would say 12 or 13. He is a few years behind maturity wise. DD I have no idea she is still to young to guess. Most of my friends started at 10 or so for a few min at a time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My son was 12 when i left him home for maybe 2 hours only.
    patty1301

Answer by patty1301 at 7:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My 10yo just stayed alone for the first time for a few hours while we went grocery shopping. She just sat and watched TV then called us to see if she could have a hot pocket for lunch (yes, she knows how to use the microwave...since she was 4). To just check the mail? How far away are your mailboxes, lol. Up until we moved here ours was on our porch. Now it's in front of the house next door. We usually send one of the kids to go get it but I have no problem leaving all of them in the house the few minutes it takes for me to walk over there (they are 10, 8, 7, 4 and 7 weeks). But my kids run all over the neighborhood on their own (with the 4yo tagging alone). I didn't even know where they were earlier (knew they were around somewhere just not exactly where). I was about to go check on them when they all came home for lunch.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My daughter is 6, so not yet!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2010