DDoes any one else find it interresting how name preferences change over the years.

Like you never hear of any one having a baby and naming it Steven, Melissa, David, Amy, Amanda or Scott anymore. When we were born no one used name like Clyde, Ethel, George or Bertha anymore. I dunno, I find it interesting.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 7:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Baby Names

• Auntumn317 think it is cute you sons name is Liam. If we had a second boy it may have been Liam. Our son's name is Nolan. Just like you I thought it was not very common. I thought a name people have heard, not a crazy made up name, but not many Nolan in the world. nope in the top 100 and have meet a couple Nolans now. did not like my name growing up b/c no one had it. as people told me it fit me, now love my name, Molly. My thinking is b/c Amy, Melissa, Kelly....were used now that is the moms names so people have to use different names. the thing is people try to come up with something new and trendy and now their are tons of Ava, Riley....
    my thing is I wanted names that I loved and that my kids grow into. names that sound good as they are children and when that are grown adults. I love a lot of boy names but they are just that BOY names not men names. love to hear WHY people pick out thier kids names!
    NOLANandKT

Answer by NOLANandKT at 6:22 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• well over time names get less popular and other names do!!! its natural like music and fashion and social norms....
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 7:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I find it interesting too. My grandmother is horrified at our boys names, Elijah and Jeremiah. She accepted them, but jokingly called them old men and prophets. All of the names of her generation are the old sounding names now that rarely get used now, like Nancy (her name), Herbert (her husbands name), Hank, Beverly, Donald, Jane, George, Betty, Frank, etc. etc. By the time I have great-grandchildren I'll probably be horrified by their name choices too.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I love how right now the trend it to not be trendy! lol. "

I know, lol! The parents try so hard to be unique, then the babies end up having the same weird names that everyone else has, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I love names and hearing what people names their babies. It is interesting how it goes.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the names of our grandparents come back into style. It seems to go in cycles. Except for the more modern made up kind of names. Although all names were made up at some point.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I've noticed that another trend is to take what would be considered normal names and give them some crazy spelling (like Leesa or Jaysun). I hated my name growing up (Autumn) because it wasn't common - there were always a ton of Emily's and Meagan's in school (I wanted to be a Tiffany - hey, it was the 80s). Maybe we're trying to prevent our kids from having to use their last initial to distinguish them from other kids... We picked our son's name (Liam) because it didn't seem very common but wasn't too out there - turns out that was the year that it made the top 100 and we met at least 4 other Liams around his age in the small town we lived in.
    Autumn317

Answer by Autumn317 at 12:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• names age like humans lol but they do make a come back
    luvmyaustin

Answer by luvmyaustin at 4:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• oh they definitely make a comeback ! i named my daughter violet...after my grandmother....and i thought that would be unique....soon after i had her, children's books came out with the character named violet, then the incredibles, then Ultra-Violet, and pretty soon i started hearing parents calling "violet" in stores.....I thought it was kind of neat at first, kind of like we started the trend...but now i'm just annoyed that its not so unique anymore ! lol
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 8:11 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I love how right now the trend it to not be trendy! lol.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2010