If I refrigerate my breastmilk and then warm it under a running sink how long do I have before I can use it? Can I re-refrigerate it?

sofieheller

Asked by sofieheller at 4:43 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do not refridge your breastmilk.

if you want to give your baby warm breastmilk, then why not boiling some water and put the bottle in the water then? goes fast than with the running sink.
    Other than that. To check if its not too cold and not too hot you just have to put 3-4drops of the milk on the inside of your wrist.

:)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I found the following link very helpful when it came to milk storage and use. http://www.pamf.org/children/newborns/feeding/storing.html
    Medela's website also has a lot of helpful information. I personally didn't refrigerate it unless I knew I wasn't going to use it within the next 6-8 hours. It was just easier than going through warming it under the tap. That doesn't exactly answer your question though does it?...After I warmed refrigerated milk, I always tried to use it within 2 hours and I never re-refrigerated it after that. I was concerned that the warming/cooling cycle would damage it...but again, not a solid answer to your question...just what I was comfortable with.
    mysweetalex

Answer by mysweetalex at 8:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I would use it within a couple of hours and i dont think you are supposed to re-refriderate it. I never warmed my daughters she liked it cold.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Get a bottle warmer! Those things are a little pricey, but so great. Do NOT re-refridgerate. Once it's thawed, it either needs to be eaten right away or trashed :(
    leahjoy

Answer by leahjoy at 2:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Check it on your wrist for temp.
    You can rerefrigerate it as long as it was not frozen. Only keep BM in the fridge for a few days though otherwise freeze it, preferably in smaller amounts (2-4oz)
    MamaNikkiP

Answer by MamaNikkiP at 6:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2008