I home school my 15 year old... Opinions....??? COLLEGE

When he turns 16 he is taking a 12th grade equivalent test. Basically proves he knows as much as a High School Senior Should. I did this test when I was 16 so I know what it is like, it is pretty hard but I have prepared him well. He already is concurrently enrolled at the college.
He takes Freshmen English and Statistics Right now at the college.
I know heavy classes, but at home he does his science, history, etc. As well as outside sports.

So here's my question. If he passes this test, coming up right after his b-day, should I have him enroll in Spring Classes that are mostly online? So I can tutor him? Or just have him go to class and I can help him with homework?

As stands he will have his General Education met before he turns 18, and at that point I think he may take a year off and travel or relax. I just don't want to over work him KWIM?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would stick with the dual enrollment. As a former homeschooler(4th grade thru graduation!), I wish I had stuck with dual enrollment. It helps them acclimate more and by the time they graduate they often times have enough credits to finish their AA degree. Online courses are ALOT harder than in-classroom. Depending on the child's learning style- he may do well or he may do horribly. If he's an auditory learner- deffinitely nix the online courses. My opinion is that in-classroom courses are alot easier. Plus you have a better opportunity to get a better understanding of the material and often times- you have more oppotunities for extra credit. Anyways- I would go with the in-classroom courses.

Jess
    jbeale8063

Answer by jbeale8063 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Does he have to be enrolled in an educational program after his 16th birthday? Most states only have compulsory attendance until 16. If he's ready and willing to go on to full or part time college courses, I say let him.
    Mommy22boys

Answer by Mommy22boys at 8:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Maybe do some online stuff as a trial run, to kind of ease into it? I assume if enrolled full-time he would still live at home. Full on college at 16 might be a tad much responsibility, although it sounds like he is already doing well in that area. BTW, it sounds like you're doing a great job with him. I homeschool my son (age 6).
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 8:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• He has to remain a Full-time student until he is 18, that is the catch of taking that test, it basically forces college. Right now he takes 8units, between math and eng. He is in school at the college Tuesday and Thursday for 4 hours total class time per day. We also do home school M&W for 3 hours a day between 3 subjects, and then in the evening he has soccer from 6p to 9p and traveling games friday and saturday. He is busy but does really well. Based on that I think he is ready for FT college work, I am just nervous I guess.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• JerbysMom: Thank You
    My daughter who is currently 13 years old is wanting to go to High School at a regular school, she's a social butterfly like her dad :)
    I also have 2 younger ones who are ironically conveniently spaced out. 3 and 5. 3yr old goes to pre-k and my 5 year old is in kindergarten. Next year the 5 year old will turn 6 and we will start home school just as my oldest is going to full-time course work at the college, hopefully morning classes so I can home school in peace. And my Daughter is going off to High School, her choice not mine.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• @jbeale8063
    I also think online can be harder to manage, I think going to class gives a chance to learn it, and then HW is repetition. I am thinking In class will be the way to go. Plus, the more he absorbs in class, the less I have to go over with him when he comes home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Our rule is graduate high school, do a year of national service (like Americorp or CityYear), and attend college.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2010