My baby is almost 10 months old..Could I have postpardum depression?

My son is almost 10 months old, he was a preemie having stayed in the nicu for 15wks, since his birth I have no energy, even tho he sleeps through the night and i sleep to, i still dont have any desire to do anything, my energy level sucks, i want to sit around and no do anything, sometimes it's all i have in me to shower, i dont feel like i ever want to harm him in any way.I get very angry with my dh for no reason sometimes i just want to sit and cry and scream at the same time.i've pushed away all of my friends, i dont want to talk to any of my family, my MIL thinks its PPD..should I see a doctor to rule it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Health

• It sounds more like a baby blues not PPD.

I was suffering from PPD really bad. There is a huge difference between those two things.
    And yes, you should talk to your OB about it.

When i realized something isnt right (panic attacks, really low energy level, suicidal thoughts and all kinds of other bad things) i went straight to my OB and told her that i need help immediately. And it helped a lot.

Go see a doctor. Thats very important for you and for your little one.

Hope you get better soon. :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• yes it could be, You should see a Doctor, they will be able to help you no matter what is wrong. Hope everything gets better for you : )
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 7:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Definitely see a doctor to rule out a physical problem. I guess the baby blues are about feeling low after your body and hormones get back to normal. I struggled with depression throughout my years as a stay home mom and even when I worked full time after my first baby. It's such an adjustment and alot depends on how you and your SO renegotiate your roles, how you feel about being a mother, how your relationship with your own mother and your childhood experiences come up. I needed some help with that so I and took some medication to lift me up so I could work out the emotional stuff. It's always good to get a thorough physical before assuming that is what will work for you. I feel for you.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Also it could be your thyroid. It's often covered with symptoms of depression.
    You need to see a doctor.
    I had ppd and have continued to battle with it for almost 4 years. My health professional has told me that I my brain may never function without the meds, because it's been grooved a certain way since the birth and won't go back.
    However now I just got a full ck-up from my doctor and he says I'm borderline thyroid. I need to have another ck-up in 6 months. BUT IM DECLINING THESE 3 WEEKS... WHAT SHOULD I DO?
    FrenchMom522

Answer by FrenchMom522 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• This is what I personally would do..

I would look at my diet..make sure I am eating plenty of fruit...its easy to grab and you should eat as much as you desire before meals. I would also make sure I had a big green salad daily. Diet plays a massive role of how we feel.

If I was being explosive towards my boyfriend I would probably just try to work out what is bothering me. Sometimes we dont find an answer this way - and I would talk to him about it and ask him to have patience with me. Then, because I have been like this with him, usually I have a massive cry and its over with....I do know though that if I havent been eating properly this can affect whether i have periods like this.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• If you dont feel like doing anything, dont. It may be your body wanting you to rest - just try not to get upset with yourself over it. Take the time you have and try to relax and do little things you enjoy. I currently do some knitting in the evenings (new hobbie picked up)...and if I am not doing that then I am learning guitar.

Exercis is important too. If you dont feel like doing anything go for a walk...you need to get the suns rays on you and if you can get yourself out the door a little work is better than nothing. (this is important for health and emotion too).
    keyaziz

• I'm sorry. Why don't you try some vitamins? They will put you back on your feet. I just tried some good natural ones. If you need more info on that let me know!
    SaferAtHome

Answer by SaferAtHome at 12:14 AM on Oct. 14, 2008