How did you get thru childbirth without an epidural?

I'm considering not having an epidural and I need all the help I can get.

What other meds, if any did you use?

Labor positions?

Did you study and use a specific method?

Please give me any ideas you can think of, I'm really nervous.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 9:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Taking a lot of deep breaths and singing, I know it sounds crazy but I sang the whole time and it helped. It really wasn't that bad. I walked a lot during my pregnancy so that helped with labor, I was only in labor for 2 hours :)
    Just relax, think nice thoughts and if you can try to remain active through pregnancy :)
    my_monkey_baby

Answer by my_monkey_baby at 9:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• By squeezing my husband's hand and breathing when he reminded me too. We took a child birth class that taught us relaxation techniques, but it all pretty much went out the window when the actual pain hit.
    Honestly, I don't think I could have done it without my husband.
    Then again, my labor was only 4.5 hours.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• they give you meds, i wouldn't have one for any of mine. my advice when they say don't eat or drink after a certain hour, stick to it no matter what! with my first i didn't have any meds what so ever cuz i didn't listen. i kept throwing them up.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Just think of the great gift you are bringing into the world. If you can, try and get up. The pain is so much worse when you have to just lay there and take it. Just believe in yourself and your cause. Trust your body. Anything else pretty much goes out the window when the pain hits. Talk to your SO and make plans to kill the time.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Just did... I didn't want to have to wait to breastfeed, or walk around. I wanted all 3 of our boys to room in with me after birth. I didn't want them shoving a bottle in any of our babies mouths.... I just remembered to breathe, and do what the nurses, and Dr told me. I also had my sister in the room with me and she helped keep me focused. Since I had no drugs, I was up, had a shower and ready to nurse by the time they had my baby back in the room after cleaning, and doing the apgar test. It was something I felt very strongly about, and would do it all over again with all 3 babies... They were all good size too, 7lb10oz, 8lb13oz, and 9lb1oz... So if it's something you think you want, don't let others tell you how horrible it is... I won't lie, there's pain, but it's so worth it!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I KNEW I needed one with the first baby because my mom and sister told me I did. So I asked for one, but it was too late. So I didn't get one. Then with the next time I KNEW i could do it without one... I ALREADY had! And I was freaked out by getting one because I stood outside the door as my sister while my sister gave birth to her youngest. She had had an epi and couldn't move, the baby got stuck in the birth canal because his head was wedged sideways. The doc used the vacuum suction to pull him out and it cracked her pelvis. She doesn't remember his first 6 weeks of life because of the pain killers she was on.
    I knew I didn't want the risks of the epidural after that!
    The way I look at it is... just think about how many hours you will live in your life, labor is a few hours at most. So really it isn't that long and the reward at the end it totally worth it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I told myself that it is supposed to hurt and that I am not the only person to ever have a kid without it and I could do it. I was more scared of side effects than the pain. Grip the bed rail and keep repeating anything that will help. Get on your hands and knees, walk around, sit on an exercise ball, shower....anything you feel like doing until you have to push.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:58 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I had no choice...I got an Epidural and it didn't take with my first son. I just did a lot of relaxation breathing and found a focus object. I also found that rubbing my leg up and down the bed through my contractions helped a lot...seemed to take my mind off everything.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 2:44 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I accepted the pain and stayed calm and kept my breathing steady ...breathe in deep, exhale slowly ...fighting the pain makes it worse so just accept it. Yes it hurts like hell but you will remember more if you are drug free...I had one out my 4 kids with drugs and hated it.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i needed drugs ! bad, too much pain
    chriskris

Answer by chriskris at 9:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010