How long did it take before you got a house?

We have had an apartment for 3 yrs and we dont really have any money saved up. Too busy paying bills and i dont work. How long did it take before you got a house? Any money saving ideas?

giovannismom19

Asked by giovannismom19 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• dude, i STILL live in an apartment and have 3 kids and am in my second marriage and am 35 years old. we would love to have a house but it just seems impossible to save that much money. there are always other things that come up that we need to spend it on.
    GreenSea

Answer by GreenSea at 11:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We are still renting. It's only because my husband is active duty and we move around every three years. No point in buying.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I didn't have any money saved up. We made a offer on a house on june 3rd and its a long and stressfull process. We are hoping to be in our house no later than sept 17. That's what they told us anyway. You can also do something called a sellers consession where you add your closing costs to your morgtage and then the sellers use that extra money to pay the closing costs
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We are saving for a house now. We want to put 20% per down at least. So now since I am teaching...my paychecks go into savings. We have been married for 7 years. Prefered to get through undergrad for me first, then we needed to a new car, so now the house.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We were only 20 when we bought our first house. We contacted the city and found that they had a first time buyer program where the city contributed a percentage of the purchase price as long as we came up with 3%. The house was only $95,000, so it wasn't a huge deal to save up the 3%.

The second house we bought was two years ago for $225,000, and we put down $60,000 but then put in another $40,000 in upgrades. Since it was about halfway through the market crash, we're now in it for a lot more than it's worth. We'll either have to sit tight here until the market improves, or eventually try to save 20% of another house and rent this one out. I'm glad that at least we aren't paying PMI on it and have a 15 year loan instead of a 30.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My hubs and I were married 3 years before we got our house, and then we kind of got it by luck. We had been talking about getting a house (but had not really started looking). My hubs grandpa was unable to live alone anymore so he moved in with hubs mom and his house was sitting vacant for about 2-3 months- they were not sure what to do about it (sell it, rent it out...). We were visiting her and somehow the conversation got turned to the house, and hubs and I said we were thinking of buying a house.... and next thing I knew hubs and his grandpa were talking finances and voila we had a house.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We tried & tried & tried. Finally a house was going to be built for us. We had the land and the contractor. It was Great!! Then President Regan got elected and took away that program. We didn't get the house built for us! Sad. It took us 6 more years before we could get the right house!! We saved every penny we could! All we wanted was our own home! It will happen. But you have to make it happen.. We drive by the place we were to have built. No one ever built there. That's where our dreams were shattered.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• PS - FWIW - I got into the house we're in now with one of those zero down things that are part of the reason that got our economy into the hole it's in now. We are barely staying afloat while I am in school...I can see how others got overwhelmed and their houses went into foreclosure...I have two foreclosure homes just on my side of the street on my block. Most all the homes in this new division were one of the zero down homes.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 10:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We had been married 7 years when we got our house, but that was about 40 years ago, so I don't remember how much money we had saved at the time. Probably not a lot though, because we both finished college after we were married, and we already had one child before we got a house.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We bought last year, after 3 years of being together. We didn't think we could afford it - we had just had a baby and I was no longer working. But the market just kept falling, and we found out our credit was better than we expected. The VA loan saved us from down payment, although we had a few thousand saved up that we used to fence our property and all the costs for the buyer (inspection, appraisal, etc.) We bought an almost new house for about 1/3 of what it had cost the original owners 3 years ago.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2010