How often do you have a babysitter?

I honestly would have to say maybe twice a yr thats about it:(

giovannismom19

Asked by giovannismom19 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids are 14, 12 and 4 and the only people who 'babysit' my kids are family. My mom, dad and mil (and sometimes my sis) will watch the kids if I need a sitter or if hubs and I go out on 'date night'.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Never. Maybe for Valentines and our Anniversary but that would be it. Valentine's is spent with my parents and siblings. We all go to the local vineyard and my Neice watches all the kids.

They are my kids and they were a deliberate choice. In choosing to have kids, I agreed to certain sacrafices, and "play time" is one of those. My son will be 10 in a few weeks. In just 2-3 more years, then my husband and I can consider a dinner to ourselves and leave him home with his sister and a pizza for 1 hour. BUT, I do not believe in getting a sitter just so I can go to the movies or dancing or whatever.

Our kids are little for such a short time and I want to spend as much time with them as possible
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• never for me... i dont trust no one.. im an over paranoid mom :(
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Never. There's no one I trust to watch my kids.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• like a REAL babysitter, it's been about 15 months or so. My parents plus my in laws live nearby... my Mom & Dad actually have my kids every single Sunday but I don't consider that a babysitter, per se..... I don't pay them and they just adore their quality time cooking, baking, playing, etc.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We haven't used a sitter in over 2 years. A good friend(and our son's 3rd grade teacher) volunteered to sit with him while we went out for our first "date night" in 10 years. Our son is living with autism, and my family's unwilling to educate themselves about his autism, so they think he'll go into meltdown mode at less than a moment's notice~ NOT TRUE! It's okay, though, it's THEIR loss!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 11:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• never

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have someone come take the dogs and kids on walks 5 days a week and she says so I can go out to get food and supplies. My oldest get 160 hr a month of RN care and I pay out of pocket for about 25 hrs more. I basically run a nursing home for kids and need staff.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yea im like that too. I only let my mom watch him and shes a busy woman so i dont have a babysitter often.
    giovannismom19

Comment by giovannismom19 (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Every week we have 2.5 hours where our work schedules overlap and we need a sitter. Other than that, we rarely have one. We have had one date in the 20 months our son has been with us. My mom comes to visit for a few days here and there, and usually during that time I will have her watch him while I go do something that I absolutely cannot do with him, like the gyno or the eye doctor. But I do not consider her a "sitter," she is family and the only family member we trust with our son. Even though she does not live nearby she is more like a 3rd parent, at least in our eyes. We have been talking about getting out more, now that we recently found a sitter we really like who is affordable. But we haven't actually made the plans yet.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2010