3year old with recurring strep

My three year old has had to have tubes in her ears three times already. The last time was this past March. In April she started getting repeated Strep infections. She has had it April, May, July and August. She also had it 3 times in 2009. In July her ENT said one more time and we will take them out. So now she had it again a few weeks ago and we ares scheduled for surgery. I am just making sure I am making ther right decision. She has been on antibiotics so much this year( 70 days since Jan) She is not a carrier of strep, she is in the low end of her growth chart and tends to be moody and grouchy. Im not sure if that is just because she is three or just doesnt feel good. Her peditrician is not worried about her size but agrees it is time for the tonsils to go. Anyone else have the same doubts . I do think it is best for her but it is still scary. Has anyone had a child who grew more after the tonsils were gone

cory9477

Asked by cory9477 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Health

• Please be careful with all those surgeries. I would recommend you get a second and maybe even a third opinion.

One of my best friends had a 4yr old son who went in to have tubes put in, he ended up dying. I know that sort of thing doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Please, please find another doctor. You don't have to leave your ENT altogether, just make an appt with someone else to see if he or she says the same thing. And don't let it be someone your current ENT recommends, be honest and let him/her know you are going elsewhere, a good doctor will be glad that you are finding more answers. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes and experience before the answer is found.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 10:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I've never had that problem. But I have had to make the decision before about surgery. I know how hard that is. Mine was for my kid having heart surgery twice after turning 5. I agree with the first poster, get another opinion if you need the reassurance. I know how scared and stressed you are. Also, it helps to research what they'll be doing. By looking into it myself, I was able to ask a lot more questions to the doctor. Go in knowing whats going on. Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My best friends little boy had strep constantly and had his tonsils and adnoids out. He has not been sick since then! I would definately check with another doctor to make sure he is well enough for a surgery though. I have not heard of a child getting tubes more than once though.
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 11:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My son had tubes put in his ears three times. One time he kept having drainage from his ears. It kept recurring. Finally the ENT dr took a sample from his ears to see exactly what was causing it. It turned out that he had the strep bacteria in his ears. After finally getting the right ear drops to treat the strep bacteria we never had any more trouble again. Also, some people can be strep carriers and not have any symptoms. They don't even know they have it. I would tell anybody that is in close contact on a regular basis to get tested so you can get rid of it once and for all.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:38 AM on Sep. 5, 2010