If your kids disobeyed you (nothing major) what should I do?

The situation is that I told the kids that they couldn't sleep on the floor with blankets on the weekdays, but the weekends were fine. The reason I did this was so they wouldn't be in the room together talking all night when it was a school night. (Which happened last night). As you can see they disobeyed me and when I checked on them at bedtime they were together on the floor going to sleep. I was so ticked off! The thing is, is that it is causing conflict between me and my hubby bc I FEEL like he doesn't support me when I make a rule. He says I am to strict on them, but he isn't with them no where near as much as I am. He doesn't see the disrespect they give me and no matter how strict I am it seems not to matter. Please don't attack my hubby bc he is doing his best to support us and he truly doesn't know what is going on unless I tell him.

Amandacintron

Asked by Amandacintron at 8:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• Well, the way I read this, you're saying 2 different things. One sentence, you're saying they stayed up all night talking, another sentence you say they were on the floor going to sleep. If they are going to sleep, I'd leave it alone. I'll admit it might not be comfortable to sleep on the floor, but if they want to, let them. Now, if they are staying awake, then you have to put your foot down. Can you put them in separate bedrooms? Give them different bedtimes so that one is asleep before the other goes to bed? You don't give their ages, so I don't know if that would work or not. As for hubby, you guys have to get on the same page. I suggest compromise. Ask him to step it up a bit with backing you on the rules; you step down a bit on the rules, be a bit more flexible. I'm NOT saying you are too strict, don't misunderstand me. But I just think compromise would be your best bet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I can understand your furstrations! Since they disobeyed you last nite then I would say that they couldn't sleep on the floor this weekend.. If it were mine that's what I would tell them!
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 8:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Sorry about the age thing. My step-sons(so we are all clear) are 11 and 7. My daughter is 10 and yes they do have separate bedtimes. They were on the floor last night ready to go to bed, but when I went to my room they were talking and I went to get on them.
    Amandacintron

Answer by Amandacintron at 8:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• So is it the step-sons that were on the floor last night?? (I'm assuming your DD has her own room).

That right their because they are your step-children could be the reason you don't have any support from your hubby. He may, without your knowledge, feel that you have no real authority when it comes to your step-boys. He also may be comparing you to their bio-mom. Their bio-mom may not have cared, therefore you are to strict because you do care.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:20 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• say since they didn't obey the rule then no more sleeping on the floor period.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I would definitely try 2 compromise bc the last thing u want is 4 them 2 realize they can play 1 of u against the other (if that's not already what's happening) bc ur a team & need 2 present a united front & consistency in the sense that IF U SAY NO, IT'S NO NO MATTER WHAT.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• You and hubby have GOT to be on the same team. Otherwise the kids will rule the roost.
    muddysuzi

Answer by muddysuzi at 2:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2008