Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can you do when you have irregular periods?

I am 22 years old and I have not gotten a period in several months. I am trying to get pregnant but it is very hard to do when you do not know whats going on with your cycle. Does anyone have any advice for me? I have tried ovulation tests but still I have not gotten pregnant nor have I gotten a period. Help!

Answer Question

Asked by Jessie1297 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • If you've taken the ovulation tests then do you know if you have ovulated at all? I'd talk to your doctor.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

  • My sister didnt get her period for years and she also didnt get pregnant. She had to go to her doctor because something wasnt right. I dont know what exactly it was. But i suggest you to see your OB and talk to her about it.

    Good luck

    Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

  • I used to experience that. I would have a period for 3 months and then be off for 3 months. I had a hormone imbalance. One dr recommended that I have a hysterectomy, but I had refused to do that because at the time I did not have any children. I went and got a second opinion and this dr was way better. She ran some tests and told me that I had a hormone imbalance. She wanted to put me on birth control but I cant take birth control because I had a blood clot in my leg a few years back. So she said that only way that my hormones would get back regular is for me to get prego.

    She gave me some pills to take call Provera. They worked for me. They would stop or start my cycle. I also lost alot of weight and once I lost the weight I got prego.

    Answer by NitaNae at 8:43 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

  • My periods, We like that since i could remember ...3 or more months without a period,

    usually although they did go like...3 months ...then somthing then....2 months would be fine,

    or vice versa

    I did have a child, and im preggers with number 2 ...go to the doctor ...see if they can do somthing most the time they can...rule out any kind of medical thing, such as endometirous* spelling*

    good luck hon,

    Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

  • First, maybe you should go to the doctor and see why you're not getting your period.

    When I was trying for my second, I was still BF my first, so my periods were all over the place. I temped to find out when I was ovulating and that helped me to see when or if I was ovulating. I always use fertility friend to chart my temps.
    Best of luck!

    Answer by Paesana82 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

  • OPKs are useless when you aren't regular! If you have always been irregular go to your doctor before you waste a lot of time worrying about what might be wrong. Your OB/GYN can do a few basic tests and even treat some problems. If they can't help, they can refer you to a reproductive specialist. If it's always been an issue it isn't likely to just go away, and sometimes waiting too long to address it can make treatment even more difficult. I spent a lot of years worrying before I went to my doctor, and it really cast a shadow on my life. On the other hand, if the irreugalrity is new, I'd still suggest checking with your doctor - if it's some sort of infection you definitely want to get it treated before it causes any damage to your fertility.

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.