Is it just me or does this not make sense to anyone else?

I live in Philly. By law a child has to be at least 13 yrs old to be left alone at home. So why is her new school trying to put her on public transportation travelling 10-11 miles across town at 12 yrs old? Am I misisng something?

69humblepie

Asked by 69humblepie at 10:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in

• They figure it's ok because she's not alone on the bus. She had several child molesters, some drug addicts, and a few drunks on with her to keep her company.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 3:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• that's messed up~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yeah that's screwed up.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• That is unacceptable. And very sad. They just started charging parents for school bus services this year...the problem I have is that the kids who are on the free lunch program or other public assistance do not have to pay. So....the rest of us who can pay have to pay a lot, because more than 70% of the kids here are on free lunch program. I have no problem with public assistance or free lunch program...we all pay for those things through our taxes. But now, those of us who have income pay directly for a program that is free for over 70% of the users?? That doesn't sit well with me and I am hoping it changes before my son gets to school age.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• can you say DUH? What are they thinking?
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 10:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• What happened with the regular school bus? A child that age could be kidnapped. Public transportation is not safe enough for a 12 yr old.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:29 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No it isn't just you, obviously someone has been inflicted with commonsenselessness!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 11:05 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Maybe they expect you or a babysitter to accompany her?? We lived in Manhatten when my son was in nursery school and kindergarden. There was no expectation of transportation to school. I took him on the subway and walked him in to school personally each day before walking the 3 blocks to my office. ??? Not sure if Philly is set up the same way or not??
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 3:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• That is messed up and I wouldn't like it at all.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 3:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Uh, that shouldn't be allowed.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2010