How do you feel about kids not dressing for Halloween and trick or treating anyway?

How do you feel about kids coming to your door on Halloween night ,not dressed up?

MzGeorgiaPeach

Asked by MzGeorgiaPeach at 10:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Holidays

• I send non-dressed kids right back down my side walk empty handed. when we were young we could never afford to buy costumes so we atleast made them even if it was jsut all black wit a ninja sword or a cat face painted on, at least it is something. The older kids that just walka round in street clothes get nothing from me. There is simply no excuse to just try to get free candy with out actually participating in the spirit of the holliday.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• nope...no candy from me. If you are not in a costume then you are just begging.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I agree, they need some kind of effort. If you can't do a coustume make something or paint your face funny with mom or aunt or grandmas makeup! Something!
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 10:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My oldest, at 9, decided not to dress up. I told her that was fine, She certainly had the right not to participate, but by not participating she could walk with us but there would be no trick-or-treating, no candy. Within 3 houses, she decided that she'd made a bad decision, quickly ran home to get costumed, and joined the fun.
    I think it was a great lesson. It's kind of like saying "I don't want to help set up or put away the volleyball equipment but I want to play" or "I don't want to help decorate the Christmas cookies, but I'll eat them". Uh, no. If you want to reap the benefits, you need to be participating in the activity. She ended up having a great night, felt good when complimented on her costume, and had a lot of fun.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 9:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I've never seen anyone that didn't dress up... But I guess not every family has the cash to spend on costumes and such... That shouldn't mean the kids can't have a little fun... I really wouldn't have a big issue with it. I would just assume they were "less fortunate" and give them candy anyways.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I give them the candy, but I kind of don't like it. I mean, that's the whole thing about trick-or-treating. That's how you earn the free candy, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Depends on the situation. If they are teenagers or adults just looking for a handout then I would probably give them nothing. That bugs me. And people do that around here...parents are right there with their kids, holding out the pillowcase. Tacky!!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I'd prefer that they did, but I'm not going to judge them on it. What I hate is the teenagers that come around, and the year that we handed out, there were a lot of them. Really turns a person off.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• .parents are right there with their kids, holding out the pillowcase. Tacky!! "

That IS, lol! Even though it does sound fun, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• lol,,Im too afraid of the teens to NOT give candy...I really dont want my pumpkin smashed down the block. Its no big deal to me. As for little ones who arent in costume, I just might give them a little extra,,wink, wink
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:58 PM on Sep. 4, 2010