Flying with a newborn

My husband may not get leave this Christmas, which sucks, but he still wants me to fly out to see our families an introduce them to the baby. I am fighting this tooth and nail, but just in case, I would like to know what to expect.

I know the other passengers will hate me, but whatev. I'm more concerned about the baby's safety and comfort than people being pissed at me. I know it hurts me when my ears pop, I can't imagine how badly hers will hurt. And cabin pressure/breathing, how will that affect her? I'm due officially Sept. 25, but OB said any time now, so she'll be pretty new.

I'm just kind of lost. Any words of wisdom? My other option is possibly getting my mom to fly out here and drive with me (about 1800 miles), which she would totally do, she loves road trips, but just weighing options.

kltinsley

Asked by kltinsley at 11:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We flew w/ my dd when she was 6 months old. i let her have her paci or have a bottle during take off and landing (or you could nurse) which helps the ears. the loud white noise on the plane promptly put her to sleep and she slept the entire time on all 4 flights. The thing w/ flying is having to lug around all the equipment. Luggage, carseat, stroller. If you don't want to do it by yourself, really play up how much stuff you're going to have to carry all by yourself. It really is the hardest part!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I've flown with my son a bunch as a baby. I nursed the entire way up to help the pressure on his ears. If you don't nurse then bring a paci or bottle to help. Passengers are much more understanding than you would think also! My neighbor on my first flight (by myself from NYC to LA) was playing with him and talking to him and totally helping me out. Changing the diaper is a bit of a hassle. Some planes don't have changing rooms so you have to do it in the back of the plane on the floor... so make sure to have a good pad. Honestly, whenever my son started having an issue on the plane I just nursed him, and the pressure and elevation just made him sleep. He did much better than expected every time! I would totally fly.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• it's really not that bad. i flew with my son when he was about 8 or 9wks old. he slept basically the whole way. get a bookbag, so you can have it on both shoulders, it'll be more comfy carrying it that way than on one shoulder. pack about 3 bottles, bring a small unopened can of formula (unless breastfeeding), about 5-8 diapers, wipes, binky if she takes it, 1 recieving blanket (in case your breastfeeding and need a cover, or it's a bit chili) and 1 thick blanket, in case it's TOO cold in the plane, 2 changes of clothes. buy 1 or 2 bottles of water after you go through security, so when it's time to make the bottle it's not too cold to drink, a changing mat (the bathrooms could be gross). you can hold her in your lap, that's what i prefered. feed her while taking off, or give the binky, the sucking helps the ears. also feed or give binky while descending. if you're lucky, she'll sleep the whole way. also, use a stroller. cont
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I used an umbrella stroller, it had a hard back to it instead of the normal "just fabric" ones. it helped hold him so i didn't worry about his back being too bent. it had a small basket underneath if i needed it. you can give your stroller at the gate, they will be able to hand it over to you as soon as you get off the plane, so when you're on a layaway or going to get your luggage you're not carrying her the whole time. I'd say get a carrier/wrap but that's just a hassle. you have to take her out for security, put her back in, take her out to feed her, put her back in, and that's if the airline lets you even keep her in the carrier/wrap.i tried the carrier once and they said i had to take him out. i advise you to put your personal stuff in the bookbag too, preferably get a bookbag with a pocket that's easy to get to for you, you can put your wallet in that pocket so it's easier for you to get your ID out. less to carry.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• oh, and a burp cloth! 2 or 3...DON'T forget the burp cloth! lol. GL on the argument btw, i know how it can be :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Airports these days will not let you on the plane if your baby is less than 3 months old and thats still pushing it. The air pressure can rupture their ear drums and cause them to be deaf for their whole life. I wouldn't risk it with my child. 3 month olds pretty much sleep a lot so the road trip should be rather easy to do. But please, I know its an inconvienience, but when you have to feed the baby pull over to do it. I've seen way to many people on the road with a baby in their lap...hello, its called an accident!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Make sure your baby is nursing/sucking during take off and landing. Landing is most often more painful than take off though. If you nurse, bring a nursing cover so you can nurse without showing anything. I nursed my son on four flights before. All I did was warn the person I was sitting next to, and no one ever batted an eye at me.

Also, you can use the flight attendants if it's a calm flight. I flew alone with my son when he was 9 and 15 months old, and the flight attendants let me hold him in the back of the plane. Twice they offered to hold him so I could go sit in peace. I declined their offer, but still allowed them to hold him while I was back there.

Check with the airline to make sure they'll take your baby so young. My cousin flew with her two week old. I wouldn't do that. Feeding isn't established yet, and you might still be bleeding and that would make your flight horrible.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I have flown with my children numerous times, and I can honestly say that I miss how "easy" it was to fly with them as babies than as toddlers LOL. I nursed them during take off and landings, and they slept the whole way in between. . . .
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• The airlines let you take bottles breastmilk or formula on the plane. They really let you take whatever you need for a baby without checking it in your luggage. You can also check the stroller on the plane when you board. I flew with my baby when she was 11 months. She was already walking but I was still nursing her. I fed her during take off and landing and she seemed to like the ride. It made her laugh when the plane took off. I guess it was kind of like being on a roller coaster for her.

If you don't worry about it so much then it will not be so stressfull. Just be calm and your baby will be calm. They can pick up on your nervousness and that will just make it worse. Just go into the flight assuming everything will be fine. That's what I did and lo and behold everything was great for my little girl.
    orchidmozart31

Answer by orchidmozart31 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Take a stroller you won't mind if it gets damaged, DONT check your car seat. If you do, you may as well just buy a new one. They do horrible things to checked items and even if it looks fine you don't know if its been damaged by being dropped. Nurse the baby on the way up and down. take extra baby clothes and wipes. Take something calming for you as well. Flying with a baby is stressful. We did with our 3 month old from Germany. It was a LONG day.
    norahsmommy

Answer by norahsmommy at 10:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010