How to mix modern with vintage?

I'm fighting with my bedroom today. I got this AMAZING photograph at a garage sale. It's by Sandra Wampler and I just adore her work. It is a 8x10 but the frame is about 3 feet. The mat is huge and it makes the photograph even more stunning.

The problem is that it is modern. And my room, which I had planned on redecorating with some toile, vintage looking rose fabric with alittle bit of brown and some hand crocheted doilies. And it's just not coming together. I just have the fabric, so I can sew it into whatever, but I'm just scared about mixing styles that are so drastically different.

How can I be in love with such different styles? I want to blend them without my room looking schizophrenic, but how do I do that?

BeateE

Asked by BeateE at 9:14 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I have no eye for art, B, but it might help the others to answer if they had a pic of the art and the fabric...just a thought. Interesting question...how to mix styles and make it look pulled together, not a haphazard assortment of 'schtuff' that no one else wanted...LOL! That's my house...it's decorated in 20th century handmedown style...ha ha ha! I hope someone has some great ideas for you!!
    Blessings,
    ~K~
    babygirl96

Answer by babygirl96 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• My whole house is a mix of modern and vintage - but I really don't plan it that way. We have fairly modern furniture (big screen tvs, big tv cabinets, some modern decorative elements) - but I mix in vintage pieces as I collect them. I like things to be a hodge podge of all the things that I love - even if I collect them one piece at a time. You should watch the show "Material Girls" on DIY - they show how to mix in fabric in your decorating - and they have really fabulous ideas. I am sure that you can find them online - I know the DIY network has their stuff online - but they might be part of HGTV... Anyway - I know that you could sew some of their projects - good luck!! And show us pics!!
    starfish333

Answer by starfish333 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2008