How do you know when you're done having kids or if you should have one more?

i guess i can't decide. my heart says go ahead, please, and my head says it's not really sure it's a good idea. so we're just waiting. sometimes i feel relieved about waiting and sometimes i don't want to wait, lol. i think my husband feels just about the same way.

GreenSea

Asked by GreenSea at 11:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've just always pictured myself with two kids...my husband has always pictured himself with a big family...so we'll see how this plays out, lol.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 11:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• For me, I couldn't come up with anything good about having another child. Two was plenty. When they were little, it was all we could do, both financially and otherwise, to keep up with the two that we had. So, I guess for me, it was the knowledge that having another child would be so selfish for me to do, knowing I could not give that child what they needed.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I know I don't need anymore mainly because I can't afford anymore. That and my son is 6 and I won't put that much time in between children
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 11:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Why dont you get on the iud? If you decide you want more then getting pg after removing it wont be hard, u can get pg right away, Im 27 n was going to get my tubes tied back in June, now df& I are deciding on having another one.One thing the Dr asked me was " what if your family gets in a car accident and you lose your kids & df, later you meet someone & decide to start your life all over would u be okay w/not having anymore kids?" she said that happened to a patient of hers.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i've always only wanted 2 kids, 1 boy and 1 girl. i've been so blessed to get just that. it's all we can afford right now too. that's how i know. that, and whenever i think of wanting another baby, i just look at the 2 i have now and that changes my mind LOL. they're 2 and 3...and both those ages at the same time is NOT fun...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:35 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have 3 kids and my last pregnancy was very hard on me.......my kids were all born in 3 years. I had gestational diabetes and preeclampsia, my doctor informed me that if I had another one I would most likely end up with both of these problems again. My DH and I talked about it and we both decided that it would be best if I got my tubes tied. There are times when I look at babies and think that I would love to have another one but my health and being here for my kids is more important to me.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We had always planned on having two. We had two and we were done. My husband got his vasectomy the day after our youngest was born.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I like what m-avi said...we feel very much the same way. We had our son, and feel so incredibly blessed with him. There is just no longing for more, no feeling of needing to have another. We are comfortable financially, have a lifestyle we love, and life feels so complete. We are content with one, and though we have not permanently committed to that, I really doubt we will have more. (Plus I'm 37 so we dont have a whole lot of time to change our minds anyway!)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 11:44 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• thats what I am going through now. DH says whatever lol he doesn't care. He says it is up to me if I want another go ahead and if I want to wait he says go ahead lol. So I think we are pretty much sometime this month are just going to decide to let it go not worry about it and if I get pregnant I get pregnant lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think it is something you know in your heart. My Husband and I have two children, an angel in Heaven and we are pregnant with our second Son who will be here in 10 weeks or less. After my Son was born in 2003 my Husband had a vasectomy. I had a very hard pregnancy, we lost his twin, I spent eight weeks in the hospital on bedrest and I hemmhoraged after he was born. We were scared that having another one would put my health at risk. The problem was that we let fear lead us into our vasectomy. We knew a few months later that we wanted more Children. We saved the money and got a reversal. Now we are pregnant and we are Thrilled. We hope to have more after this one. I believe that you know if you are complete or if you are not. :-) Good Luck Mama. I say Go FOR IT!!!
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:41 AM on Sep. 5, 2010