SAHMs or WAHMs, does your child only ask YOU for stuff?

I stay at home during the week while my husband works. He's generally gone from 1pm-11:30pm. Then on the weekends I work at my part-time job, about 16-20hours a week. My son is fine when i'm gone on Saturday and Sunday and plays with my husband and they do whatever it is boys do when they're together, lol. But as soon as I get there, he'll only ask me for things. From the moment I get up or walk in the door, its "Mommy can I have a cup of water?" "Mommy, can I have a snack?" Even if his father is there, he only asks me. It drives me nuts because I sorta think of DH's being there as my time "off." Or at least time for me to get a little bit of a break!

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 11:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Probably just wanting your attention...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Nope. I'm a SAHM and when my husband is home, they are all over him. It actually does give me a break.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Im a sahm too but when dh comes home i sometimes go out somewhere for a break , he says that they are good up untill i get back home, as soon as i walk in the door they start crying for me n acting up, my fam has babysat when i go to my Dr apt n all and they tell me the same thing,
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I know exactly what you mean.......all 3 of my kids do that. They've even gotten to the point that when we're in the car (with my DH driving) they will tell me to stop speeding or tell me to stop the car because they dropped something and need to unbuckle to get it....! They're just so used to me doing everything for them.......when they're with my DH they've even been known to call him "mommy"! Makes me laugh everytime.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My son will play with my husband when I'm home...but if he wants something, he expects me to get it for him lol. And of course he's too little to understand that mommy is not a robot programmed to serve him and i need a break!
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Maybe it's because you are gone sometimes. I work 20 hours a week too - hubby works days, and he comes home and then I leave for my job. On weekends, we are both off and I need SO badly some time off to do chores or whatever I can't do during the week with a toddler grabbing at my legs. And it is impossible. No matter what I am doing, he needs to be bugging me, and he will totally ignore his dad. Sometimes when it gets bad, they will go leave the house so I can have some time to myself. My son is still a bit young to be asking me for stuff - but he still breastfeeds so you know he is always after me the minute I put something on the stove. It's hard!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:38 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My ds always askes his dad for stuff...Sometimes i hear his dad telling him to "Go Ask Your Mother"....ha ha
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 2:14 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Ah that's because men are useless.. even the little ones know that mommy does it best! Mine is always on me or asking me for something. He even comes after me when I'm napping and daddy is taking care of him because he believes I am the Goddess of this world. Daddy is jealous that little one loves Mommy best :)
    FateoftheGodz

Answer by FateoftheGodz at 4:47 AM on Sep. 6, 2010