My 14yr old wants to perice her bellybutton....

She has asked me to let her do it , but I dont feel just because her friends at school have one she should get one.

sherryv07

Asked by sherryv07 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• ehhh when you're 14 is there really any other reason to do something? i got mine pierced when i was 16.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Totally innapropriate. Not my daughter. Teenagers who's parents pay and allow for things to make themselves sexy are sending their girls the wrong message. What does she need that for? Stuff like that is why people complain teens are too much now a days.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Honestly I would wait until she is 16. I had a piercer friend of mine tell me that because at 16 their torso isn't going to grow much anymore but at 14 they are still growing and that could complicate a piercing.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:16 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My stepdaughter had been wanting to do some kind of piecing on her lips, dh was okay but now that she is living w/us hes like hell no! I wanted to get my tounge n belly at 15 like my mom sd u can do it when you turn 18 because i wont go w/you now, so when i turned 18 i did.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• for me the answer would be "HELL NO" for a variety of reasons starting with it hurts like heck AND it gets infected VERY easily and not the safest place.
    your ear ... have fun. At 15/16 I wouldn't be bothered by nose (side only ... probably) but other body parts... no... you can wait till your 18 or prefer. older ... maybe I need to start a tattoo rule for piercings (family rule on tatoos is wait till your 25 AND you've wanted the same design for a while).

My friends do it... that's their parents problem. I am NOT crazy and YOU are not risking an infection. End of story.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:24 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• What does perice mean? did you mean pierce? I would let her, but that is just me! I know that a persons outward appearance has not a single thing to do with what is in their heart or the type of person they are or will become. Teenagers feel the need to express themselves in different ways and experiment with different things. If you let her get it and act as though it does not bother you, she may take it out. It may be a test or it may not,, you are the parent so it's up to you ultimately. I have never been a person who cares about strangers or even loved ones perception of me based on my appearance. I know I am good person and that is all that matters to me, anyone who chooses to think otherwise simply because I choose to adorn and beautify my body (well they can just fuck off!!)
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• To me, that's like a tatoo, and no, not in my house. Ears are for piercing. Period.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 12:30 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• In my household, I'd tell any child of mine that they can get tattoos and piercings (other than ears) after they are 18 and can afford it themselves. If they realize how much they have to work to get something, they might think twice about it.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 12:34 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i myself wanted my belly button pierced years ago. i was told no,but now that i look back it was so worth not getting!
    Tiffany805716

Answer by Tiffany805716 at 12:35 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• What angers me is when parents choose to pierce the ears or any other body part of infants and toddlers (female and male). That is just torture for the child and vanity for the parent. At that age, the child has no clue why they are receiving this pain. That is child-abuse to me, but so many moms think it's cute so it's okay!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:37 AM on Sep. 5, 2010