13 yrold advice

My son has gotten very sensitive about what you say regards to girls, his looks, and his clothes. What can I do to be more sensitive to his concerns?

sherryv07

Asked by sherryv07 at 12:25 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Talk to him about his concerns. Let him know he's a neat kid and you're proud of him. It doesn't hurt to let him know that people have different opinions on nearly everything and just because someone else does or doesn't like something, he doesn't need to follow their lead. Let him know all the time, that it's ok for him to be himself regardless of others. It might also be a good idea to let him know that others are usually just voicing an opinion and don't mean to hurt his feelings.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:31 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Thanks alot! :)
    sherryv07

Comment by sherryv07 (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Tell him you love him and are aware of these concerns. Let him know that you're there if he needs you.

mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 1:07 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Really encourage him to be himself! Don't offer advice unless he asks or ask him directly if wants it. Don't overdo the compliments or suggestions. I have one that is 14 and we've been going thru this! So we keep it to really simple observations and compliments. I don't think people always realize that some boys have just as hard a time with image as girls do!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My 15 year old is doing the same thing. He ask me every morning"How do I look?" Should I change"? "Can you smell my cologne?" I guess its a boy thing.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• 13 is such a horribly insecure age. Let him know that even the most popular, most handsome kid in his class is sensitive about his looks and has self esteem problems. Everyone does and that age, even if they don't show it. Just letting him know he is not alone in his feelings will likely help him feel better.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:55 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Just watch what you say. They are at that weird & awkward phase.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2010