• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my child to put his clothes away neatly?!

Oh man this is such a fight for us! He had a dresser, but he would just shove everything in it, so we bought some of those closet organizer shelves so it would be easier for him to just stack his clothes in there. Still no luck! He shoves everything in there and doesn't show any regard to where they go. I'm thinking about buying another shelf to hang lower in his closet to hang up pretty much all of his clothes and then doing those canvas bins on top of the shelf, but I'm pretty much at my wits end. I hate to fold clothes and then have them just shoved in somewhere and wrinkled. Is this too much to ask of a 7 year old (will be 8 in Dec)?!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 9:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Perhaps he has to many clothing....

I have to every 4 months go through my kids clothing and get rid of some stuff... stuff they don't wear, stuff they don't like, stuff that is ruined, stuff that is to small...and just keep the basics. I've found the LESS they have the better they are at taking care of it. I know when they have to much when they start shoving it in their drawers and or just piling it on their dressers. Mine are 6 and 7. When they start doing that then I go through their stuff and down grade!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I don't have an answer, but if you figure it out, please let me know! I have an eight year old (almost-- 8 in November) daughter who is no better than your son in this area!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:14 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Have you physically showed him how to put them away? I think leading by example is a great way to get kids to know what's expected of them. Maybe you could try folding them and putting them away in front of him for a few days, then folding them and watching him put them away for the next few days, all the time explaining that that's exactly how you expect it to be done when you're not watching him. Then when you think he's got the idea, try letting him to it without your supervision. If he does it right, give him a reward or something nice so he knows he's doing it right. If he doesn't, have mild consequences ready.

Just a thought =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• honey its too much to ask for a 16 year old i just quit fighting with them and clean their rooms while they are skool don't have an answer for you sorry imean we have a finished basement that we fixed up half of it for my 13 year old son he is like 10 feet away from the washer and dryer and still can't manage to put his clothes even close to them so i can wash them
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Good luck I am still trying to get my kids to do the same thing, I have given up and I just do it myself.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I don't have an answer my son puts his clothes away and I don't care how I just like that he does it.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Thanks so much everybody! I'll try a couple of these and see how they work! Hopefully, something will!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 11:19 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I say, as long as he puts it away and the drawer closes, who cares? Pick your battles. I think it's too much to ask a 7 year old to do it to your standards. Back off a bit and let him find his own way of doing it - you'll be much more likely to get him to do it more often this way.

If you want it perfect, you're going to have to do it yourself.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 12:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Well, I completely understand where you are. I have found, by having 3 children, that I have to do things different with every one! My son, being 8, has a disaster for a room 99.9% of the time. Though, I have found ways to get him to get ready in the morning, or dressed for an outing, and of course get chores done in a reasonable amount of time. I simply challenge him to a race! I laugh, because honestly, he came up with this idea, not me. Now, I can say that he wont hang all of his clothes the right direction when we are racing, but nevertheless they are hung! Also, the shower thing and getting ready works wonder in a race format if you are running late, which lets face it, most of us moms are most the time! LOL P.S. If you dont have clothes to hang up yourself in order to partake in race, offer to time him and do a "Get ready, set, GO!"
    Momof3many

Answer by Momof3many at 3:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• this is what I did-I got each of my kids a different color laundry basket. I fold their clothes up- in the basket it goes. I tell them that their basket is ready to put up. the first couple of times I helped them put their clothes up. my oldest keeps all her long sleeves,whatever group together in the closet. my youngest has her clothes grouped together by color( I didn't tell her to do that) all jeans, when she was in school- all school uniforms were in one place.
    kimber2465

Answer by kimber2465 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2008