Anyone know a remedy for static-y hair?

Don't know why but my hair is soooo full of static lately. I spray my brush with Static Guard, which I hate because it smells awful and makes my hair feel dirty, and it's winter time when we have the heat on inside, which will usually do it, I would really use some suggestions on how to get rid of it. I've even bought new brushes, changed shampoo, tried using mousse, etc and nothing seems to work.

KimPippin

Asked by KimPippin at 12:39 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Use just a teeeeenie dab of baby oil all through your hair. You'll have to wash it every day if you do this, but it works and it makes it so shiny! OR if you can afford it, http://www.buy.com/prod/bain-de-terre-recovery-complex-anti-frizz-shine-serum-1-7oz/q/listingid/71414867/loc/67984/213934514.html this stuff is amazing!

SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I use a dryer sheet! Rub it around your head after styling, it helps! I do it all the time, plus it has a nice smell
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:03 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Spray in conditioner, I use the brand Aveeno and sprits it in my hair after I take a shower. I get the same thing when it's winter here.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:44 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I would just use a deep conditioner when my hair was staticky, static is a sign of dry hair.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:55 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Static means your hair is dry. Try switching to a gentler shampoo, or shampoo less often. I notice when I come home from the salon that my hair is unbelievably static-y because they wash it twice with a harsher shampoo than what I use at home ... drives me nuts! There are many de-frizz and conditioning products that work quite well; you can try those if changing your shampoo and/or the frequency of shampooing alone doesn't help.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:50 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I spray my hairbrush with a pump of Aveda's "Brilliant" hair spray, then brush through - works great!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:18 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• try ditching for either a vent brush or a comb.. (healthier on the hair)..

be sure to use a GOOD shampoo and conditioner.. just because it says moisturizer does not mean it has the proper ingredients to actually moisturize your hair. Get something like Joico k-pac or paul brown ressurrection. They are professional brands and work great. (look for things like protein/keratin, amino acids, bioton etc for ingredients)

be sure you are properly blow drying.. ( blow with the cuticle from scalp to ends, not against it)

use a light stay straight gel before blow drying.. and a thermal protectant before straightning or curling.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I just give my hair a quick swipe with a dryer sheet!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I use the dryer sheet trick too. I always carry some with me in my purse. Sometimes when I am shopping, I notice I am getting shocked a lot on the fixtures in the store. But if you keep a dryer sheet in your pocket it helps cut this down. I also will rub one through my hair if it gest static in it.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 2:27 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Ok, I tried to edit my question to add my reply to all of the wonderful answers and it wouldn't let me, so I hope everyone can see this. I noticed in my question I put it "is" winter time and meant that it's "not" even winter yet. Thank you all for the suggestions, I will definitely try them. I do use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, but I think after this last haircut, which the girl totally butchered (told her I wanted a lightly layered bob and got a much layered mess of what looks like a mullet) I have to brush it a lot and style it to death in the morning to get it to look right and that is creating a lot of the static. When it was long (like in my pic) I just had to blow dry with minimum brushing and only needed a few swipes of the flat iron and curling iron and was good to go. Never had a problem. Thanks friends for the suggestions! Will try them for sure!
    KimPippin

Comment by KimPippin (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Sep. 5, 2010