Do you think that a person needs to be humble to receive help?

I don't understand why people who are very vocal and honest about needing financial or any other type of help NEVER receive it, but if a friend or family member solicits help on their behalf it's a different story. Someone tells a sad little story about their friend having cancer or their friends kid having a disease or some sad crap like that and they get a vacation and a brand new state of the art house. It kind of makes me want to puke when I watch shows like Extreme Home Makeover, but they also inspire me! I have mixed feelings I suppose. Thoughts??

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 12:57 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I like this post.

people who have a theatrical sellable story get help while those who are not so marketable suffer.. this can be taken as good or bad really.. I myself get sick when i watch a lot of reality television so Meh lol
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:04 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I am not sure why it is that people are usually more willing to help when not asked. Maybe it is an ego payoff thing. Like, 'oh, look how helpful and giving I am'. Maybe if the person asks for help directly that kills the superhero thing for them? (Wow, I have never sounded so inarticulate! Sorry, it's late and I am sick.)
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 1:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• So you are saying those people lie? Good way to be judgmental.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:05 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• actually, some people on extreme home makeover tell their own stories, i.e. nominate themselves.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think it's great that this world doesn't have enough kindness and it's bad attitudes and selfish behavior that makes the world what it is today a crap hole. People endure hardships such as cancer and you think it's "sad crap" for someone to want to brighten their life and give them something so wonderful? You have a horrible attitude.
    Proverbs3127

Answer by Proverbs3127 at 1:21 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I've seen some homes on that show that nearly broke my heart to know kids were actually living there. So No! I would never think that way about people asking for help. There are families out there who desperately need a prayer and miracle. You sound like you need to work on being humble.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think some of those people get help and after no one can remember who they are. I am sorry your not getting the help you need maybe you can write an anon letter and send it off on your behalf it can only help?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• idk but ill bump
    reina77

Answer by reina77 at 1:04 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• @Proverbs3127........why do you say that about me? My family is desperately in need and I choose to ask for it, I don't have any friends to request on my behalf and I would not want them to. I have a horrible attitude simply because I am willing to request a better life for myself and my son and am not willing to suffer in silence? That reasoning does not make sense to me.
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 1:34 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I refuse to be a martyr just to soothe someone's ego or make them feel better about themselves. I am my first priority and my son second.
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Sep. 5, 2010