Endometrial Ablation of the Uterus

I have a question for any women that has had this surgery.

I had this procedure done last year in May. For the first 6 months my menstrual period completely stopped. I notice I was still getting symptoms such as irritability during the time my period was suppose to happen. Well after six months I started getting one small spot during that time. Now I am starting to bleed lightly and even get some cramps. Is this normal? Will my period come back? I know I need to go back to my doctor, but will not be able to for a few weeks, so I thought I would ask other women that have experienced this.

Any advise would be appreciated.

FancyKnots

Asked by FancyKnots at 1:01 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Health

• I had this surgery 8 years ago. 3 months b4 I got married. I had no cycle for about 6 or 8 months then it came back lightly. My dr said it may or may not come back but it SHOULD get rid of the discomfort. I had HORRIBLE cramps to the point where I could barely walk and bled like a river flowing. It had been that way as far back as I can remember so I thought, oh well this is just the way it was going to be for me. The surgery stopped my cramps completely and made my cyclevery, very light that lasted 2 to 3 days. I have since undergone chemo and am experiencing menapausal symptoms that may or may not go away - may never bleed again (fine with me). But who knows. Check with your dr about the cramps though. They can't do anything about mood swings.(other than drugs)
    ebonyjwriter

Answer by ebonyjwriter at 1:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I have not had it, but I found this info...
    "How Well It Works

Most women will have reduced menstrual flow following endometrial ablation. And up to half will stop having periods.1

Younger women are less likely than older women to respond to endometrial ablation. After an endometrial ablation, younger women are more likely to continue to have periods and need a repeat procedure.

Young women may be treated with either gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues (GnRH-As) 1 to 3 months before the procedure. This will decrease their production of estrogen and help thin the lining of the uterus (endometrium). "
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:17 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• SleepingBeautee

• My Mother and two of my Aunts have had this done. The bleeding they had after the surgery was awful. My Mom's cycle went away for almost six months but has come back as a small flow.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:33 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I just had mine last week, but my doctor said that some women still have a light flow after the procedure, it depends on how much of the endometrium they were able to remove.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:13 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Thanks ladies for all your answers. I only have a very light flow and sometimes light cramps. My periods had never been unusual. Then all of sudden I started a period that did not stop for 3 months, but I had no pain. After the surgery I have felt great except now that I started to flow lightly. I was a little worried. I will take light flow any day over the three months of hemeraging.
    FancyKnots

Comment by FancyKnots (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2010