Does heartburn mean a hairy baby?

I figured that with my first pregnancy I should have bought stock in Tums, but this time my heartburn has been horrible from about the 3rd month. How bad was your heartburn and did it correspond to the amount of hair your baby was born with like the theory suggests?
Also, I know Tums is safe for pregnancy, but what about taking it every day? I usually end up taking 2 to 6 most nights just to get some sleep.

Autumn317

Asked by Autumn317 at 1:07 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's actually NOT an Old Wives' Tale. There is research to support the fact that the hormone your body produces to stimulate hair growth causes heart burn. BUT, there are other things that can give you heart burn...baby's position, blood pressure, food choices so it's hard to know for one which...if your baby is born with a lot of hair, chalk it up to the heartburn being from that, if not, something else was giving you heartburn. I had it terrible with both my sons, both had hair at least covering their head, one much more than the other!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 3:05 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I had terrible heartburn with all three pregnancies. Two babies were bald and one had a bunch of hair, it was dark brown with blond tips.

It is totally an old wives tale.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No. It's an old wive's tale. My babies had newborn hair that fell off and they were cue ball bald.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:09 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No it is an old wives tale
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• It's just an old wives tale. You can have heartburn and have a hair less baby =)

I had horrible heartburn and to this day my daughter has little more than peach fuzz on her head, and she's 14 months old.

Tums is safe to take every day as well.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:09 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• well i had possibly the worst kind of heartburn imaginable. i'd get heatburn just from a sip of milk or water. my daughter was born with a full head of thick blonde hair about an inch and a half long.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:09 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• tums is safe but watch how much you eat in a day. milk helps with the burn. no it doesnt mean a hairy baby because i had it too and my baby was bald when first born. sorry about heartburn cause it sucks
    CowboyMama

Answer by CowboyMama at 1:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No, heartburn means an uncomfortable mommy,,had more acid reflex with son then I did with dd. I guess its the way we carry them. Dont know about any drug stuff and I usually dont give my opinions on over the counter drugs to mamma,,,I leave that for you and your dr cause I want you and baby to stay safe..hugs and hope you feel better
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:12 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• oh and take zantac for your heartburn. it's a life saver
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:13 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No.... I didn't have heartburn and my baby was born with a head full of jet black hair...
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:29 AM on Sep. 5, 2010