How do i plan a big successful yard sale?

What materials do i need and what kind of cheap advertising is successful also do i offer coffee to people and how much change to i need? how did you do yours?

Proverbs3127

Asked by Proverbs3127 at 1:38 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I posted mine on craigslist days before it started, and during. I bought price stickers and neon paper, and a black marker at walmart(cheapest place to buy stuff or dollar store) for signs around my neighborhood. Tacks work better on most places for your signs, and tape. Change you will need in the beginning will be 50+ especially small bills and coins. I did'nt offer anything to drink, I was busy enough just selling stuff. Why make it harder for yourself. Good luck!
    beaniesmommy04

Answer by beaniesmommy04 at 2:23 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Make sure you have some friends who can help if available. Have fun
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:21 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Put the ad on Craigslist and list as much as you can as people are most times looking for certain things; books, games, computers etc. I have never had much luck with adult clothes but kids clothes do real well. I normally have a free box and that goes over big. Pricing every item is a pain but in the long run it is best to take the time. Signs are important or you can make signs using card board boxes and put rocks in to keep from blowing away. Be careful if you have valuable items, keep them close to where you are having people check out. If you have other friends selling at the sale have each person do their own money. Get as much help as you can, when you first open it will be a mad house but fun. Have stuff on tables as much as possible. I cover the stuff in the garage that is not for sale so they don't keep asking to buy it. Good is you can have a neighborhood sale as that attracts more people. Have fun.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't serve coffee.......

Fair warning..... We had a garage sale once and a lady fell in our garage. She later sued us. She waited and sued right before the statue of limitations in hopes that we would forget the details. The $500 that we made at that garage sale was not worth the headaches from that lawsuit. The insurance coverage covered the lawsuit, but our rates then increased because of the claim and we have paid way more than $500 in increased insurance premiums....

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:37 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Make sure you put an ad in the local paper. Sometimes the garage sale section is free or very cheap. Make sure everything is priced. Nothing is so irritating to me (a garage sale junkie) as to have to ask how much something is. Balloons are a great way to attract attention to your yard. If you can put signs on the cross streets with balloons, some communities you can, some you can't. Coffee is a great thing. No one around here does that!!! And when someone walks up just say Good Morning and be friendly, don't try to sell your stuff unless they ask you about something. I hate when I walk up to a sale and the person starts "selling". Just let me look!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Some newspapers will advertise for free if you limit your ad to a certain # of letters. Get everything ready the night before with prices and start on time. If you are having a yard sale to clear out your clutter, price low. If you are having it to make money, be reasonable. Price a little higher than what you would want so when you are asked, "will you take..."? you can come down in price and they think they are getting a bargin. No, don't offer any beverages! Much success, 'cause it is hard work!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:41 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I am a HUGE garage sale fanatic. I love to go to them and I love to have them! We made a lot of money at ours so here are some tips that work for us.

First, prices are a big deal! Most people going to garage sales are expecting garage sale prices. You do not want to have items listed too high that people will not even glance at it but not too low because a lot of people will want to bargain. Have tables set up in well organized sections. For example: all kitchen items together, all clothing together, all childrens toys together. Have your money container close to your side. Have a place to put it out of view so if you need to walk away no will take it. You will need a lot of ones, fives, and quarters. Also have tens and twenties and coin change. Make sure you know how much you started with. Have a pad of paper and nice big calculator for large amounts to add up. Have PLENTY of bags and newspaper for cont...
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• CONT...also have everything clearly marked. Many times if I see an item is not priced that i may have been interested in, I will just walk a way! If you have a lot of clothing, hang them up if you can and have sizes paired together and clearly marked.

For advertising craigslist is great, its free and you can list a lot of your big ticket items as well as your bulk items. The paper can be pricey but I suggest putting it in there. If you have antiques, vintage, dolls, kids and baby items those are attention getters. Signs can be easily made at home. Make sure you write BIG and CLEAR. Put them on all ends of street, if your house has a lot of turns place arrows at all streets leading to your house. The early morning you can probably expect to be swamped. Early birds like to come before you even open to get first pick. Good luck and have fun!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 5, 2010