I don't know what is wrong.

My son is 2 years old and he understands words, and the parts of his body. When it comes time for him to talk, it seems like his speech is dragging. The only words that I can understand is mama, stop, and that.
What is going on?

sonisels

Asked by sonisels at 10:02 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Perhaps your son is going through a phase in which he speech seems incoherent on the surface. give it time. Your son will eventually speak much clearer. In the meantime, I highly recommend you check out this incredible website called Nogginpower2. One thing I learned from Nogginpower2 is that they have excellent readings on Discipline, Improving Social Skills, Making New Friends and Getting Good Grades. These manuals from Nogginpower2 should aid you in coaching your son to speak more coherently. I hope this helps you with your current situation. Thank you and good luck.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Children all learn at different rates and usually one skill at a time. If he is learning another skill at this time, his language may be a bit behind. If you are truly concerned, you may wish to have him evaluated by a speech therapist. My son is 3 and he does not speak in sentences or many words. Every child is different and Every mom has concerns. Try to relax and breath. If he does have a problem, it can be managed. For now...you may wish the enjoy the peace and quiet, for when he does start to talk....He will never be quiet again. LOL Take care and good luck!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:06 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• My little one just turned 3. But when she was 2 she didn't seem like she was talking much, either. But as she got a little older she started saying more. And now she talks all the time. And is usually saying something terrible.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 10:31 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• my son didnt talk much he tryed but around 15 months we got a spech therapist it worked great now he is almost 3 and talks really well and is up to his age level so he no longer qualifies for spech but you might want to look in to that the doctor gave me a refferal
    Mommyandreaof2

Answer by Mommyandreaof2 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Please take your child to the doc. just in case. I thought my daughter was going through " a phase" and she has ASD which should have been dx sooner. Sorry moms
    taliasunshine

Answer by taliasunshine at 12:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2008