Rolling over while sleeping

My LO rolls over alot while sleeping. I always put her on her back, then when I check in, she is on her tummy. Is this OK to leave her that way? She is almost 5 months now.

jet360

Asked by jet360 at 1:50 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always moved my DD back when I noticed that she'd rolled over. They recommend not letting babies sleep on their tummies until their first birthday to help reduce the risk of SIDS.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:54 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• yes it is ok. at about 1-2 month a baby is strong enough to move themselves if they cannot breathe. sids is a risk in the first month. think logically on this one. if your baby is strong enough to roll over they are strong enough to position themself to breathe and believe me they know when they cannot breathe and immediately move themselves so they can. if your baby is comfortable on her tummy, let her sleep on her tummy
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:00 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My pedi said when my DD was rolling her self over then she was ready to be on her tummy - that if she could roll over she could lift her head enough to breath well. She told me to make sure she gets tummy time during the day to build neck and core strength. And not to worry. Please ask your pedi what their opinion is on this... it made me feel a lot better!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:02 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Well I also had a daughter die of SIDS. I guess my pediatricians recommendations are different due to that.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:07 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I am so sorry to hear that glkamouria......

I would say not allowing to sleep on tummy untill a year is a bit much. Once she can roll over I believe (and let my kids) sleep on their tummy. one of my daughters started that at that age as well, and I just let her be.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 7:58 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My son did the same thing, once he could roll over we always would find him sleeping on his tummy. Our pediatrician said that it was fine: continue to put him to sleep on his back, but if he rolls over by himself not to worry. Like the other moms said, once they can roll over and reposition themselves SIDS is much less of a risk.
    Sandie0819

Answer by Sandie0819 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Sids is a risk for the first year. Not the first month. It significantly decreases with age, but is still there. My son started rolling to and sleeping on his tummy at 3 months. I freaked and put him in a sleep positioner hoping he couldnt roll over it but he would slink down out the bottom of it and then roll over. After discussing it with my pedi i was relaxed more to find that when they can roll the risk of sids reduces tremendously. There wasnt anything i could do to stop him, so he slept on his tummy every night. And still does at 14 months old :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:04 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• my son always rolled over at that age too. i would roll him back over but he'd be on his back when i checked again. i think it's fine for them to sleep like that. babies know if they're uncomfortable. now my little man sleeps on his belly with his butt in the air. lol.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• 4 kids for us and we were always told once they could roll they could sleep however they wanted. Not like you could stop them from sleeping on their tummies if they wanted after they learned to roll.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Once they learn to roll over it's acceptable. Yes the risk of SIDS is still there, but it'll be there regardless of what position they sleep in.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 6:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2010