Does anybody know what gel nails are?

I was getting a pedicure the other day and I was looking at the services they offered. I saw the usual stuff and then I saw the gel nails and overlay. I tried asking the lady doing my pedi, but I couldn't understand everything she was saying. Anybody know what gel nails are and overlay?

beaniesmommy04

Asked by beaniesmommy04 at 2:52 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• they are typically UV gel.. the chemicals are less harsh than acrylics.. and gel tend to shine better. You can wear them like acrylics, or get an overlay, which is like a wrap. It's basically a layer of the gel that covers your natural nail to add strength and shine.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I have had them done, but I dont know the specifics. gel nails are stronger than acrylic, and I know when you get the gels your able to change the colors and designs where as with acrylics your stuck with what you have.. Thats about al I know and it could be wrong haha
    I have no clue what the overlay is. I might know, but never heard the term. Wow I wasnt any help at all sorry!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:02 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• it's basically better then just acrylic, when you get just acrylic the nail polish can chip. With Gel, it stays in and it always makes it look shiny even if you wash your hands all the time. I fell in love with it after the first time I got them and I can def tell the difference.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:20 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I have gel nails. I had acrylics for over 15 yrs...Yes, gel is way better for you. I love it because it's on my natural nail and they look natural and shiny all the time. Also, I have never broken a nail. They last approx. 2-3 weeks and then I get them redone. They cost me $30 each time I go. They soak off the gel in pure acetone for 10mins or so. They use a regular nail file and lightly file your nail for the gel to stick better to. My nails also grow like crazy because of the gel making your nails harder.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 5:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2010