Would it be stupid for a 20 year old to go in for a mamogram??

i dunno, my family has a history of breast cancer but they say to get a mamogram after 40...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Health

• talk to your dr and let him knwo abotu yoru family history, he will let you knwo if you should start early screening. I am 26 nad have to have one starting this year b/c of my family history
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:28 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I agree with VictinaG, talk to your dr. When they are aware of your history, they can keep that in mind. If you find a lump or something concerns you, absolutely tell your doctor you want a mammo, if you really feel it will help you feel better. I had one at the age of 27 b/c my dr was mildly concerned about a lump (it was nothing, thank goodness!), and I know people who've had them younger. It's never stupid to be concerned about your health.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:44 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• i'm 26 and i got mine for the first time two weeks ago. its not stupid. better safe than sorry.
    zombie_mommy

Answer by zombie_mommy at 11:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Stupid? I think it's wise to really play it safe considering your family history
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Agreement here- ask the doctor.

Answer by Bmat at 2:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• absolutely not! if your family has a history of breast cancer then i would talk to your doctor about getting one! its harder to detect in younger women but not unheard of. you can never be too cautious about cancer..but just dont worry yourself sick over it
    setgirl

Answer by setgirl at 3:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2008