Home hair straightners, do they work?

I have naturally wavy hair and my current hair style looks better if its straight. Its a hassle using the flat iron everyday. Having it professionally done is not an option. My hair is pretty average, not thick or thin and not dry, but I have a lot. So I was wondering what brand would be the best to try at home?

beaniesmommy04

Asked by beaniesmommy04 at 3:07 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I would go to a place like Sally Beauty Supply and ask them what they would recommend!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 3:11 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• That is such a good idea, thank you! There is one five minutes from my house. I'm going tomorrow!
    beaniesmommy04

Comment by beaniesmommy04 (original poster) at 3:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Straighteners are definitely one of those products where" you get what you paid for" applies.   I bought a $30 straightener and it was useless.  I then bought a $180 titanium straightener and it is awesome.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:11 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My hairdresser uses a CHI, she said that the lower-priced ones don't get hot enough, and they don't have plates that are safe for the hair. You get what you pay for!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:03 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• things to look for in a straighter..
    temperature setting (not just warm or hot.. but actual temperature settings to adjust to meet your hairs needs).
    ceramic plates are WAAAY better than the cheap metal that some cheap straightners like conair use.

and money = value with straightners but doesn't have to take all your money either.. a good $50-100 dollar straightner at a beauty supply store like sallies is a good price to stay at for a decent straightner

if you want to be sure to protect against damage try a thermal protectant spray that you spray on before straightning your hair to protect from excess damage.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2010